Monday, August 12, 2019

A Look At, & Lesson From, the Farm

Hello, a big welcome to those of you joining me from Encouragement Cafe today! It's a joy to share my devotional, "An Encouraging Example" with you. It can be amazing to think about the power examples play in our lives.

As a former Algebra teacher I know examples played an important role in the classroom. As a current coach, I know they make a difference on the basketball court. As a mom, I daily see the impact our words and actions have on young hearts and minds. Examples are important and really from each one we can learn. Hopefully, we live lives that show others what to do and I pray we have the discernment to know when an example gives a lesson in what not to do.

Examples come in various forms and from numerous places. My post today is a bit different than most, but it's one God has had on my heart all summer. I pray He has a message for you here today!!


A while back someone was visiting our farm and we gave them a little tour. First off our dog Fritz greeted them, then they saw the cows and the calves. We entered the barn to see sheep, baby turkeys and pigs. Once outside there were more cattle, chickens and a coon dog.


As we made our way around, a song started to play in my head. You can probably guess it was Old McDonalds Farm! We were missing a horse, cat and duck, but otherwise we about had it covered. 

Now, if you haven't visited a farm lately this may not seem like a big deal, but friend farms today are different than they were 30 years ago. Most of today's farms are pretty one dimensional, the days of diversity have seemed to disappear. In my grandparents' days situations like ours were the norm - diversity helped with changing markets, but today specialization is the way to go. 

Our diversity has less to do with income and more to do with our 5 children's varied interests and projects. I'm grateful for all they learn and the work ethic life on the farm provides, but I'm also thankful for the spiritual insight I gain and the powerful lessons I learn. 

Here's the insight I've gleaned from our "Old McDonald's Farm" - diversity is necessary in our spiritual lives. Many farms today just produce crops, while others just raise cattle and still others only produce hogs. This may work in the agricultural world, but as believers we cannot become one dimensional.  

Is your life busy? Mine is too! Does your schedule get crazy? Same here! Are you ever tempted to cut something out? Me too! 

Sometimes cutting back is exactly what we need to do. We must be good stewards of our time, but we can't allow busyness to allow us to become one dimensional in our faith. As disciples of Christ there are disciplines we need to carry out. Now this will look different in different seasons, but we can't go the way of the modern farm and specialize in one area while we forget all the others. 

We can't rely on a weekly Sunday church service to sustain us. We need more than an online Bible study to feed us. Praying before a meal alone won't strengthen our faith. Just like our farm has various animals and crops, we must have multiple dimensions to our faith life. 

Here are a few to focus on! As you read them, pause for a moment and think about the role this discipline plays in your faith walk. Is it part of your life? Is it something new you need to add? Or something you need to strengthen?

Prayer - "Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints..." Ephesians 6:18

Bible Reading - "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." 2 Timothy 3:16

Fellowship - "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near." Hebrews 10:24-25

Church Attendance - "They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer." Acts 2:42

Worship - "And Jesus answered him, “It is written, "You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve." Luke 4:8

Life on a farm can be a bit crazy, but giving a tour with all our livestock is more exciting than when we only have a few animals on the farm. Our lives as a believer will be better lived as we practice each of these disciplines. Our God is great and mighty, we will grow to know Him more and better as we practice diversity and forget about specializing!! 


Heavenly Father, I'm so thankful that you are always with me and you are always working. You teach us in powerful and personal ways. Thank you for this look at and lesson from the farm. May I diversify my faith life...don't let me allow one area to drown out others. I need to pray and I need to worship. I need to read the Bible on my own, but I also benefit from fellowshipping with others. Give wisdom as to how each of these important disciplines can fit into my life. Continue to encourage me as I walk in faith. Bring others across my path who will set an example for me. Equip me to set an example for others. In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

1 comment:

Wendy Blight said...

What a fun way to give us a tour of the farm when we can't be at the farm. Yes, spiritual disciplines are so important. Never thought about it as one dimensional before but it is. We need to be well rounded believers. Developing every area of our walk with the Lord.

Blessings,

Wendy