Sunday, January 6, 2019

The Purpose of Practice


As a mom to athletes and a basketball coach, practice is a part of my daily routine. I spend time planning it, driving kids to it and leading it, which is probably why the word caught my attention the other day as I read my Bible.

Philippians 4:8-9 says, "What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

Verse 8 is one I've read numerous times, studied a few times and even memorized, but nearly a week ago it was verse 9 that really went to my heart. "Practice these things" seemed to jump off the page and I dug a bit deeper and thought a bit more. I found myself thinking about it through the day and eventually found myself back in God's Word with a desire to know more.

Like I said, practice is part of our everyday life right now. Our two girls are playing basketball and three boys are wrestling. They practice at the school and at home as well. I coach the girls and help them practice too. As a coach and former player, I know practice is important. It's where we prepare, learn and improve. It's vital for success as a team and individual.

Practice clearly plays a part in the world of athletics, but does it have a place in our spiritual life? According to God's Word, the answer is clearly "Yes!" In Philippians, Paul clearly tells us to practice. In simple terms, practice means: to do, so Paul is instructing the people then, and you and me now, to do what he did, to follow his example and imitate him.

Really, it's no different than what a coach does with their team. I show my young girls how to pass, shoot and dribble. I explain offensive plays and defensive position. Athletes need to listen, understand and execute. Sometimes they try and fail, but that's why we practice. Friend, as a believer we must "practice" the same. In God's Word, He clearly instructs - we need to read, study, pray for understanding and humble ourselves to obey. Practice comes down to doing what we know.

This effort and event can lead to victories on the playing field, but the purpose of spiritual practice is so much more important. Let's read the end of verse 9 again - "and the God of peace will be with you." Friend, when we practice the spiritual disciplines Paul addresses we aren't guaranteed success, but we are promised God's presence and His peace!

As a player, I experienced some difficult practices, but I was always thankful I endured and did the work. I have no doubt we will say the same when we practice prayer, thanksgiving and Godly thinking. Practicing holy habits will improve our spiritual walk and daily living. This practice prepares us for eternity and invites God into the present.

Friend, most athletes will tell you practice isn't always easy, but they know it is necessary. Can you as a disciple of Jesus say the same? Are you willing to practice today? Start with practicing what Paul shares in verse 8 - "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things..." Today pay attention to your thought life. Take your thoughts captive. Tune out the lies. Replace the doubts with Truth. Think Godly thoughts. Practice having the mind of Christ. Your day will be better because God will be with you!!

Heavenly Father, thank you for always teaching us. I'm grateful for your living active Word that never returns void and speaks to my heart. Lord, help me practice hard for you. As a coach I know practice serves a purpose, thank you for showing me spiritual practice is necessary too. Help me imitate Paul as he imitated Christ. Thank you for your presence and peace. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

3 comments:

Mark and Pat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark and Pat said...

I used to spend one to two hours a night planning the next day's practice. I wanted to make sure that we covered all that we need to do on a daily basis along with something that we might need in the future. I was much more concerned with who we were and how we could improve than who our opponents were. We cannot control what they do -- only what we could do. Life is like this -- we cannot control what others do or how others act towards us, only what we do and if what we do to prepare is enough or not -- so be it -- we have done the best we can do and as a coach, I can live with that.

Wendy Blight said...

This is so good! I have seen it play out in my own son's life as he went from middle school basketball to high school basketball and now to Division 1 basketball. Practice is what allows us to excel at whatever it is we are doing. And, shouldn't our walk with the Lord be the one thing we should want to excel at the most?!?

Blessings,

Wendy