Sunday, September 16, 2018

Everyone Needs a Cheerleader (And an Invitation)

Sports have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, but a while back I found myself thinking about an activity I've never been a part of - cheerleading. We always had cheerleaders at our games and leading our pep rallies, but as one playing these individuals never had my undivided attention. I was aware of their presence and appreciated their role, but just recently was reminded of the importance of their job.

I'm embarking on something new and have been a bit anxious about it, but I knew it was God's leading, so I stepped out in obedience without really sharing my fears. At the same time, I'm also embracing God's change of plans for me though the worry of what others might think has entered my mind.

So as I walk this road, others come alongside. They don't always know what I'm experiencing or how I'm feeling, but God does. Sometimes He meets our needs through the people He puts on our path. He did just that with words from my friend. Words that expressed excitement and confidence. A message that brought peace and joy. Ones that left me thinking - "Everyone needs a cheerleader!"

My friend would probably say she didn't do much, but I want to remind all of us - our words matter. So does the time we take to share them. They are an investment we make, not only in others, but when we are encouraging one who's walking in faith, we're investing in God's kingdom.

Think about the people in your life. What are you saying to them? Would they consider you a cheerleader? Or would they label you a critic? I'm a football mom and I'm sorry to say life has more critics than the bleachers and sidelines on a Friday night.

There is a time and a place to offer criticism and point out sin, but there's also a great need to offer words that uplift and remind others they are not alone. So my prayer for today is we'd all be a cheerleader. You don't need a skirt and pom-poms, but you need a heart that loves. You can simply speak words that inspire and motivate; ones that offer courage and support.

Hebrews 10:24-25 says, "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near."

Cheerleaders play a role at athletic events, but their job is much more important in the spiritual sense. As believers we're in a battle much more difficult than any game, we face an opponent stronger than any team, so we must join together and cheer one another on. Will you join me?

One of the areas we can support each other is studying God's Word. If you'd like to be involved in a study, I'd love for YOU to join me at Encouragement Cafe! Starting September 24th, we will be walking through ReNEWal Road: The Journey of Becoming More Like Jesus. This is a study God led me to put on paper and now will use to guide you to His Word. If you'd like more info let me know and visit the official invitation page HERE.

Finally, for my cheerleading friends a BIG thank you! God truly uses your words, support and encouragement more than you know! As Thessalonians 5:11 says, "Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." Keep it up - you are doing a good thing!!

1 comment:

Wendy Blight said...

First, I LOVE this post. We do all need cheerleaders. Friends who always think the best and want the best for us. Friends who are willing to speak the hard words we need in kindness and love to make us better. And friends who just plain make us laugh and smile. You are a cheerleader for me in my life for sure.

Second, when I clicked on "HERE," it took me to the description of the study, but I didn't see a place to actually click and sign up. Did I miss that?

Wendy