Tuesday, March 27, 2018

The Patience of Noah

First of all a BIG welcome to those of you joining me from the Encouragement Cafe! It was a pleasure to share my devo there today and I'm blessed you clicked over for a visit! Please know I treasure your time and appreciate your comments! So with that my post for today -

Chances are you read the title of this and thought I may have made a mistake. The phrase we tend to hear is - "The Patience of Job." I know, I've heard that a time or two, but I've never once heard or said or even thought about the patience of Noah.

That changed on our family trip to the Creation Museum and Ark Encounter a couple of weeks back. The trip was wonderful and still has me thinking. Like any museum there is much to see and read, there's also videos to watch and people to talk to. As all this information came together in my mind (and really it wasn't anything new...I've read the account of Noah and even studied his faith a bit), a new thought entered - Noah had patience.

Scripture doesn't say exactly, but through study and cross-reference many say that it took 50-75 years to build the ark. (See Genesis 5:33, 6:3,14, 7:1,6 for more details or visit Answers in Genesis) Think about that for a minute. That's nearly a lifetime in our world today and even back then it was close to 10% of their living years.

Noah clearly acted in faith and walked in obedience, but he also endured and persevered. Most likely he was questioned by those around him...he was building an ark for a flood when they had never even experienced a drop of rain. This step out of his comfort zone was not rewarded immediately. He continued to work and believe day after day after day. Even after his work was done more trust was needed.

I was talking with a friend after our trip and in the midst of our conversation God convicted me as I reflected on the life of Noah. I have put my faith to work, attempted to walk in obedience and have been blessed by God in the process, but lately I've found myself a bit distracted and discouraged. I know I've been busy and trying to discern where and how I can cut back, but I also realized maybe there was more happening than I thought.

Getting swept away by the busyness of life happens and it affects us more than we realize. Facing decisions and change does the same, but lacking patience impacts me as well. How about you? Can you say the same?

I'm not just talking with your husband, children or in traffic. But patience with God when it comes to your obedience and steps of faith. We need patience for more than just our temper. We need patience as we wait on God for direction, as we long for Him to transform us, look for Him to use and as we speak the Truth.

This realization has led me to look at my parenting, teaching and ministry a bit differently. We live in such an instant gratification world that I believe this mentality affects us in ways we are unaware of.

Like Noah, have you heard from God, stepped out in faith and exercised obedience? Like me, have you become frustrated when you don't see the results you've expected or hope for?

Friend, if you said, "Yes" to those questions, I pray you'll read on and say the same to another.

Time means one thing to us and something entirely different to God. Scripture says, "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years are like a day." (2 Peter 3:8) Instead of expecting something to happen today, tomorrow or next year, we'd be better off waiting patiently for God's perfect timing.

I have no idea how Noah felt or what thoughts he wrestled with as he built the ark, but I know sometimes my focus is on the end result more than the process it takes to get there. As a coach, I've always appreciated the quote - "It's about the journey, not the destination." Thinking about Noah has brought that phrase to mind; I'm beginning to think it's more applicable to a life of faith than a basketball season. Perhaps you and I wouldn't become so discouraged if we focused more on what God was doing in us than what He's doing through us.

My final thought for today may initially sound pretty simple, but I pray it's also powerful. So here it is - Patience is productive. After walking through a replica of the Ark, I have a much better understanding of and appreciation for all Noah did. I mean have you ever stopped to think - Where did they get their drinking water? How did they handle animal waste? Ventilation? And on and on? (If you visit, there are displays with information about all of this.) Had Noah rushed the process, chances are he would have forgotten something. His patience was necessary and led to what God wanted. I have to believe the same could be said for the patience we exercise today my friend!

So back to my last question - Are you willing to pray for patience? I know people say that's a dangerous prayer, but this look at Noah leaves me thinking it's also a powerful one. God will give us opportunities to exercise patience, but then He will eventually use and bless that patience!

May we remember -
God is patient. 
"The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9)

Jesus was patient.
"He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth." (Isaiah 53:7)

Patience is a fruit of the Spirit
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." (Galatians 5:22-23)

Patience brings blessing.
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest
 if we do not give up." (Galatians 6:9)

Patience leads to promises.
"We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience
 inherit what has been promised." (Hebrews 6:1)

"You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, 
you will receive what he has promised. (Hebrews 10: 36)

Friend, I know it's hard to be patient, but it is possible. I'm trying to remember that more and more. I hope you will too! I leave you with Colossians 1:9-14, may it be a prayer for all of us! And may we like Noah walk by faith and with patience!

"For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light. For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." 



1 comment:

Wendy Blight said...

Thank you for these powerful Scriptures on patience and your fresh insights on Noah. Such a wonderful and equipping message to encourage me today. Thank you!!