Wednesday, May 17, 2017

When you don't know what to do...

Friends, my little nephew, Gideon, who is not quite four months old is currently being put on a life support machine. This little guy has already had two heart surgeries and has been in a week long battle with pneumonia. Please keep him in your prayers. 

Tonight my heart has been broken and my thoughts have been racing. I pause to pray and then I think of someone else to share the request with. I'm reminded life is hard, but as feelings and even some fears try to overwhelm me I remember God is good. He has a plan. He is able and He can heal. Standing on these Truths and countless others bring peace.

Just this morning I was driving and had an experience I rarely do. To my left was a beautiful rainbow and to the right were dark storm clouds. It was such a contrast - peace on one side and fear on the other. As I drove down the road, the Holy Spirit put a thought on my heart. 

When you experience this -


Remember this -

Friends, the rainbow is a sign of the promise between God and not just Noah, but all of the people of the earth - including you and me. In Genesis 9:12-16 we read - 

And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”

This promise is not a guarantee that life will be easy and hard times will never come, but it's a promise that there will never be another flood. And today this promise reminded me Scripture is filled with many other promises. I'll share a  few timely ones now -

God's power will rest on us when we are weak. 2 Corinthians 12:9

We can cast our worries on Him because He cares for us. 1 Peter 5:7

God, our Heavenly Father and Great Provider, will give peace at all times and in every situation. 2 Thessalonians 3:16

When we are in trouble, we can call on Him and He will rescue. Psalm 91:15

Our loving Father sees all of our hardships and cares about our sufferings. Psalm 31:7

We can trust in Him and He will never forsake us. Psalm 9:10

Friend, I don't know what storm is raging in your life right now, but I pray you can remember the rainbow and cling to the promises. Let's ask God to help us do that right now.

Dear Heavenly Father, we approach your throne with confidence. Your Word tells us to ask, seek and knock. We are doing that now. You see and know the storms that we are facing, please be our anchor. Help us set our eyes on You and You alone. May we remember who You are and rest in the promises we know. Lord, I put Gideon into your arms and the others who are hurting - be with them now. Father, we ask for a filling of Your Holy Spirit. Make Your presence know in powerful and personal ways. Lord, physical storms remind me of your power and control, help me see the same as I walk through the storms of life. Father God, we love you and we need you. In Jesus' precious and powerful name, Amen.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the encouraging words and perspective. I'm in tears.

Misfit Introvert said...

Jill, I needed this for so many reasons right now. Praying hard for Gideon, Matt, Jackie and Vanessa, too. Love to you all! Heather Pedlar

Unknown said...

Amen! And to echo David, a man after God's own heart "When I am afraid, I put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid." But, O, it is hard to trust, to truly relinquish and rest. Yes, when I am afraid I will trust in Him!

Betty said...

Prayers for Gideon and his family!

Anna M said...

Amen. Thank you Jill. Continuing in prayer for precious baby Gideon and all
Of you ����

Wendy Blight said...

Amen. How precious this message is and the images so powerful. Our God is good even in the hard. Our God is Peace even in the fear and unrest. Praying for sweet Gideon his parents, and your family as you come alongside them.

Unknown said...

Oh Jill... you are so beautiful. Thank you for you. Praying that rainbow cover your heart and the heart of each person whose life is touched by the Mighty Warrior. Praying for healing... I love you.

Christine said...

Those two contrasting pictures are powerful as are your words and God's precious promises. That is exactly how we felt when the storm hit last night just as the children gathered for choir. Like a mother hen, I gathered them to the piano and we sang songs as hail pounded the windows and trees fell. With a mixture of fear and comfort we sang "Thy Word", "How Can I Fear?", and "My God is a Righteous God". Yes, clinging to the promises though the fear wells up within. Praying for little Gideon and his family.