Monday, April 17, 2017

Because of the Cross

The day after Resurrection Sunday...what is on your mind? Last week as I spent time reflecting on Jesus' final days and words before the cross my thoughts shifted to things that happened because of the cross. We must spend time at the cross to better understand the because of the cross, but both are important in the life of the believer.

Sometimes we can make this complicated. I can overthink think things and analyze them way too much, but last week while I was in the Word the Holy Spirit kept it pretty simple. So today I'm going to share the basics - the ABC's. I pray the following blessings of the cross will encourage, convict and offer wisdom as you walk thru your day after Easter. Friend, we've just celebrated our risen Lord and Savior, now may we walk with Him and live for Him!

A - Abundant

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." (John 10:10)

Jesus came to this world because His Father, our God, sent Him. By His presence He brought much and through His example we learn much, but because of the cross we gain much. His death brought life - eternally for believers in heaven and abundantly for us while on earth.

B- Better

"But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you." (John 16:7)

Through Jesus' death and resurrection are lives are better? How can that be? Eternal life is something many believers quickly understand, but this verse gives great insight for the here and now. Jesus told His disciples that it would be good for them that He was going away. Other versions say it was for their advantage and a gift. Why? Because now instead of being in Christ's presence, He would be filling them with His Holy Spirit. Friend, the same is true for you and me we don't simply celebrate the resurrection and God's resurrecting power we have it in us. Because of the cross, we are filled with the Spirit of the One true God!

C - Commissioned

"Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”  (Matthew 28:18-20)

Have you ever struggled with what you should do with your life? Are you a young mom thinking you don't have a purpose when all you do is change diapers, make meals and do laundry? Are you an empty-nester thinking your job is done? Friend, regardless of our roles, our jobs or our age, as a disciple of the Lord we have a purpose. Jesus explains that purpose in some of His final words. We are His disciples and we have been commissioned to make more disciples. We don't have to "go" to the ends of the earth, though He may send us there, but we can also do this in our homes, our communities and our work place.

These ABC's may seem pretty simple, but they are critical. My young son is learning to read and without his knowledge of the ABC's it would be an impossible task. The same is true for you and me - we all want to shine our lights for Christ and these foundational "because of the Cross" truths will help us do just that!

Dear Heavenly Father, 
Lord God, thank you for the cross - the work you did through it and life we can live because of it. Help me remember that I can have abundant life - keep my eyes focused on you and continue to reveal your bigger picture to me. Thank you for sending your Spirit, may I continually be filled with it and yield to it. Father God, you've commissioned me and called me to live with you and for you. Help me live my faith first so I'm able to share it well. Thank you for your promise to always be with me; I go with you now. In Jesus' precious name I pray, Amen

No comments: