Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Pause & PRAISE

Friends, thank you for joining me in prayer for our little Gideon James Beran. We are once again reminded God hears and answers prayers. Doctors are pleased with how surgery went and we continue to lift our mighty warrior as recovery takes place and he moves towards healing. If you want more details on the day and thoughts from his home, visit Gideon's CaringBridge page HERE.

Today I found myself praying and waiting and wondering. I also spent some time in Judges 6-8 reading more about the Biblical character with the same name. He was a mighty warrior...a man I've studied and at times have related to - specifically with the fleece situation. I understand the struggle he dealt with and perhaps the doubt he experienced.


I'm grateful for the encouragement we glean from these few chapters -

God was with Gideon and He is always with us. In Judges 6:15-16 we read this, "Pardon me, my lord," Gideon replied, "but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family." The LORD answered, "I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites, leaving none alive." Alone this calling was too much for Gideon, but with God nothing is impossible. There have been times when things seemed too difficult for me, but when I depend on God, His strength and grace carry me through.

God can use little to do much. In Judges 7:7 we read, "The LORD said to Gideon, 'With the three hundred men that lapped I will save you and give the Midianites into your hands." It is figured the Midianites out numbered Gideon's soldiers 50 to 1 - that's not very good odds. Yet God was faithful to His Word and Gideon was victorious. Friend, when your back is against the wall and you feel defeat is a given, remember this - God can use little to do much!

I'm also humbled by the wisdom and warning we find in Judges chapter 8. This is a part of Gideon's story I'm not as familiar with, but today I found it interesting and insightful. Here we read of Gideon killing Zebah and Zalmunna - scripture is not clear if this act of revenge was God led or Gideon acting on his own. Friend, we must be sure to always seek God for direction and then be willing to obey. We may think our plan, way or method is best, but God is the One who knows - seek Him, trust Him and obey Him.

We also find Gideon giving us a powerful reminder in Judges 8:23. The people have just cried out asking him to be their ruler when he responds, "I will not rule over you, nor will my son rule over you. The Lord will rule over you." Friend, we must never forget God is the authority figure, He is our judge and the one we will answer to, may we surrender to Him and live to serve Him.

Gideon, one we find in the Hall of Faith (Hebrews 11) follows up his words of wisdom with a strange request. He asks the people for an earring from their share of the plunder. Then verse 27 tells us of the final recorded event of his life - "Gideon made the gold into an ephod, which he placed in Ophrah, his town. All Israel prostituted themselves by worshipping it there, and it became a snare to Gideon and his family."

Gideon may have had pure motives in making this...in a way it may have been something similar to the stones of remembrance Joseph had the people lay down. Regardless of his motives the people took to worshipping this ephod instead of God who'd given them victory.

Friend, as I read these words earlier I thought about our call for prayer for our little Gideon. I believe our motives were pure, but I don't want it to end there. Tonight we are pausing to praise. God did much today and we want to acknowledge Him for it all. He is mighty and able. He is our provider and our peace. He is the great Physician and tonight we praise Him.

Will you join me?

Dear Heavenly Father,
Lord, you are the Prince of Peace and we thank you for filling us with it today. You Father are the One who promises to never leave us or forsake us - thank you for assuring us of your presence today. You were with Gideon, his parents, his medical team and all those praying and waiting. You are our great Provider - we asked you for much and you gave more than we even know. Thank you Lord for your goodness and grace. We are grateful for the work you did on Gideon's heart and in our's as well. Lord, we asked to see your glory and now I pray you get all the glory!! So Lord I close with these powerful words from Your Word - Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him, to You Lord be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations forever and ever! In Jesus' Name, Amen

No comments: