Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Thinking about worth...

Hello friend, I had no intention of writing today, but I'm blessed to be sharing a devotional at the Encouragement Cafe and would love for you to join me there. You can visit by clicking HERE. A couple of months have passed since I penned the words you will find there today. "Why Worth Matters" came from a lesson God had been teaching me and now as I reflect on the week that has passed, He's confirmed the message I shared.

If you've read my blog over the last week you know it's been a tough one...yesterday we said our final earthly "good-byes" to Grace, our 20 year old niece. (You can read about her HERE and HERE.) Yesterday as I walked out of our local high school following the funeral, a friend shared some words with me.

Rose spoke about her last visit with Grace and recalled the hug she'd received. She concluded with something along the lines that Grace loved everyone, and she did. As I heard these words I had another thought: But when you were with her, she loved you like the only one.

Grace was unique in many ways with this being one of them...she made time for people and when she conversed with them she wasn't thinking about something else, she was engaged. This wasn't only true with her peers, but people of all ages. Just weeks ago I remember her chatting with an elderly woman at church...listening to what she had to say and offering a hug to express her love. Then there are memories of her with young people...all of my 5 kids have memories with her and are grieving her loss deeply. Why? Because she loved them, took time for them and saw value in them. Grace didn't stop here though, she took it a step further and loved people she'd never known and lived a life she never knew as she went on numerous mission trips and loved God's people.

So, what does this have to do with today's devotional? Good question, but I believe there is a simple answer...Grace was secure in her identity. She knew who she was and where her worth came from. She was a sinner saved by grace and she lived for others to know the same.

Oh friend, over the last week I've been reminded again and again how important it is to know we are and live as the one God created us to be. This makes a big difference for the people around us, but it also makes the only difference that matters eternally for us. When we accept Christ as our Lord and Savior, we realize we are a sinner bought by the blood who has become a child of the King. This fact alone is amazing, but it's so much better when we live like that is who we are!! Living this out, truly being secure in who we are in Christ, is for our own good and for God's glory! We saw evidence of this as thousands spoke out about Grace and the impact her life made.

Friend, I pray the words of my devotional and the Truth from God's Word would speak to each of us today. Our worth matters and so does everyone else's. Like my grandma once told me, "Remember you're not better than anyone else, but you're just as good as them." Today let us not forget..."Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe." (Proverbs 29:25) And may we remember to "encourage one another and build each other up." (1 Thes. 5:11)

Friend, when we view ourselves, and others, rightly God is glorified, His love is shared and people are impacted. Stand secure in who you are today and make a difference that will last into forever!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Having read and watched stories about your Grace, I truly can grasp what it looks like to embrace our God-authored worth. Thank you so much for sharing! Xo