Tuesday, April 28, 2015

From One Mom To Another

Friend, as a Mom I know life is busy and it can get real crazy. I have 5 kids, I get it. We are constantly hearing, "Mom" and being pulled in countless different directions. When they are asleep we still have work to do and even when my head hits the pillow my mind keeps working. Some days it (the laundry, the cooking, the cleaning, the praying, the refereeing, the teaching, the practices, the mothering...) never ends.

I'm about to admit one of my brain dead moments - tonight as I prepared supper, I remembered to fill the salt shaker...but I forgot that when you turn it upside down the salt comes out as fast as you put it in. I'm sorry to say it took longer for me to realize this than it should have. Honestly, I was quite disappointed in myself, but as I watched the salt run out it was as if God spoke to my heart.

Sometimes life drains me faster than the salt ran through my shaker. As I thought about this, I found myself reflecting on my recent quiet times. Once again I'm sorry to admit this - these times haven't been as productive as they could and should be. I've been reading my Bible and praying, but just like I was distracted tonight when I filled the salt shaker, I haven't been completely focused.

Distractions are a given in a home with 5 kids under the age of 12, but that's no excuse. God created me to have a relationship with Him and if I want that relationship to grow, I need to invest in it. I need to be intentional. I need to make time to be still. (Psalms 46:10) I need to practice self-discipline (something God has given - see 2 Timothy 1:7) and get up earlier than I already do.

If something doesn't change, I'll keep doing to my heart what I did to my salt shaker. Everything I pour in will come out as fast as it goes in. If I'm going to serve my family, and the others God brings across my path, I need to have something to give. I must drink of the living water. (John 4:14) I must live out John 15:5 - "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing."

Friend, abiding takes time, effort and sacrifice. Abiding comes with a price, but it also brings a profit. As a Mom I know my work never ends, but often my energy does. I also know my work is important, but I've been reminded the most important job I have is to fill myself up so that God can pour me out.

I don't want my life to look like the salt I saw flowing through the shaker earlier this evening. Do you? If your answer is no, join me in finding a way to plug the holes...let's fight through the distractions, die to our self and feed our spirit. Now as my family sleeps, I see my salt shaker on the table...it's no longer empty, but full, ready to be used tomorrow. May it be the same for me. And you.

3 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

Thank you for this wonderful reminder today.

Blessings,

Wendy

Anonymous said...

Jill, you are definitely speaking to me---here it is May 1, and I am reading on April 28!!! We have had 2 of our 3 grandchildren spend 7 nights with us this past week. Although we did truly enjoy the time with them, I didn't have my focus on God's word and my time with Him as I normally do!!! I feel somewhat "incomplete," and am looking forward to getting caught up on my RTW notes and videos, working in "What Happens When Women Walk in Faith" (Lysa T.), finishing the last chapter of "Children of the Day" (BM). As often as you write, you once again spoke right to me.
Thank You, Lord, for this Godly woman and her thoughts,
Mema Jeanne

Jill Beran said...

I always appreciate your encouraging words! And thank you for the reminder that we must always remember to abide, no matter the stage or season of life!! Thanking God for YOU now!!