Monday, September 16, 2013

A Dependent Daughter

I'm a mother of 5 dependents, but lately I've been reminded that I am a child of my heavenly Father. Which means, I am God's dependent daughter. This is a truth God's shown me for years, but something I've dug into deeper this last month. This process began in August when God showed me I was depending on others for approval. Through the years, He has worked in me and I've made strides in this department, but my eyes were opened and I saw it was still an issue.

Upon the advice of a friend, I prayed a new prayer. I no longer simply asked God to take away my desire to please man and gain their approval, but I asked Him to help me overcome this and live to please Him and Him alone. In that process, I was lead to three verses that touch on the subject and encouraged to live a life that pleases the only One who matters!

For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. Galations 1:10

But just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts. 1 Thessalonians 2:4

For they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God. John 12:43

God's shown me that when I'm seeking approval from other's, I'm not depending on His. (Ouch!) I continue to be a work in progress, but God is changing me. And as He uses His Word to transform me, He's shown me I struggle with my role as a dependent daughter in other ways as well. I'm not only guilty of turning to others for approval, encouragement and a listening ear, I'm also guilty of depending on myself. The last couple of weeks God's shown me times when I trust in my own understanding, rely on my strength and depend on myself.

I've been convicted and encouraged. I've been challenged and uplifted. I've dug into God's Word, thought about it, prayed it and am trying to live it. I no longer want to simply say, "I depend on God for everything!", I want to live like I really do. How about you?

If this role is one you'd like to learn more about, I encourage you to join me on Thursday, when we dig into the topic a bit more. God is leading me to share what He's been showing me and I'd love for you to join us in the journey.

Until then something to think about....
How would you finish this statement - We can depend on God because _______________________.


2 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

Jill, what wise words, "When I'm seeking approval from others, I'm not depending on His." I will surely remember your words the next time I seek the approval of others. Thank you for this great post today!

Blessings,

Wendy

Jill Beran said...

Thanks Wendy for the encouragement and your teaching through the years! Praying I will remember these words as well!!