Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Spiritual Diet

The other day my baby turned 2! It's honestly hard for me to believe my little man is already that old...a lot has happened in those 24 months! He's grown and changed and so have I! As I thought about this, I decided to look back at my blog and see what was on my heart back in 2011.

The 2nd post I read was titled, "Words Brought to Life". I currently am working through a study about praying God's Word and weekly listen to a pastor who encourages us to read God's Word, so these were timely words for me to read.

from Aug. 4th, 2011 -

A newborn baby in the house means a loss of sleep (plus many other wonderful things!!), but the other night a truth was brought to life while I was up with our new little man. I was already lacking in the sleep department and that night I hoped it would be better, but it wasn't; so I pulled myself out of bed once again and did what I needed to do.


My lil Jesse Man
I sat down to feed Jesse and looked for something to pass my time. Rather than opening the book that kept me up longer than my baby did, I pulled our calendar off the shelf and decided to look at what the new month would bring. It was then something caught my attention; no, it wasn't the events scheduled or the first day of school, instead it was a verse that instantly took on a meaning that was real!!

The words on our calendar read, "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good." (1 Peter 2:2,3) 

Now, I've read this verse numerous times and heard it as well. I know the point Peter is making, but that night as I sat there with a newborn babe in my arms these words came to life! You don't have to be a mom to know babies need milk, I really believe that is an understood fact of life. But if you are a mom, you've experienced the craving newborns have for milk. It feeds them and fills them. Calms them and comforts them. This is what they desire! 

This isn't a one time desire either! My little guy craves milk quite often...at times it feels like this is a constant desire and others it seems to be the only desire!!

That night as I sat in the early hours thinking about this I was struck by the contrast in my desires with that of my son. Honestly I wasn't craving spiritual milk at that moment like my son was craving physical milk. And if I'm truthful I don't know if I've ever craved God's Word in the same way my son cried out for his nourishment.

How about you? Do you crave spiritual milk like a newborn baby craves that which sustains him? Remember craving it, isn't enough - my son doesn't stop longing for milk when I pick him up, he is not satisfied until his desire is met. Friend will you join me in being more aware of what we crave? Let's move past realizing we need this spiritual meal and make an effort similar to the one I do with my son, let's get ourselves out of bed and let our Heavenly Father provide the nourishment that only He can. 

And then when we're feeling empty, cry out and let Him fill us again!! This strategy works for my son and I know God is a much better parent than me!!!

What words have been brought to life for you recently??



Jesse is now 2 and still enjoys his milk...praying he will long for spiritual milk as well!!

As I read this post 2 years later, God has reminded me that though Jesse still loves his milk, he no longer survives on that alone. He is my little meat eater, loves to chew on carrots and enjoys every cookie he can...he needs solid food. And friends as we grow and mature in Christ the same is true for us! Don't allow yourself to settle for the basics, keep growing closer to God and digging deeper into His Word! He wants to nourish you in order to equip you for all He's planned for you!!

"I have a lot more to say about this, but it is hard to get it across to you since you’ve picked up this bad habit of not listening. By this time you ought to be teachers yourselves, yet here I find you need someone to sit down with you and go over the basics on God again, starting from square one—baby’s milk, when you should have been on solid food long ago! Milk is for beginners, inexperienced in God’s ways; solid food is for the mature, who have some practice in telling right from wrong." (Hebrews 5:11-14)

1 comment:

Joy Moments said...

Wow Jill - and now that verse will resonate with me with expecting that new grandbaby due in just over a week. Loved your blog. Debbie Williams (OBS Facebook Group Leader)