Tuesday, February 5, 2013

New thoughts on a familiar word...

 This past Christmas a friend gave me a gift and as I opened it she said, "I know you're not much for pink, but I saw this shirt and thought you needed it." She was right...there's not much pink in my closet, but my thoughts of not wearing the shirt were connected to something other than the color. 


You see in BIG letters across the top of the shirt it said - BEAUTIFUL. Not exactly the word I use to describe myself or one I want others to read when they see me. Now I didn't mention this to my friend, but soon God had more to say to me.

Later my daughter, who loves gifts and all things pink, asked to see my new shirt. I pulled it out of the bag and she asked, "What's it say?" It was then God gave me new thoughts on a familiar word...

My focus had been on the first, large word I saw but as I read the verse to my daughter, God shifted my focus. The shirt reads: "Beautiful are those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation. Isaiah 52:7"

I'd been focusing on my and the world's definition of beautiful, which states: having qualities that delight the senses. Thoughts (some I know are wrong and God is working on) had convinced me that word doesn't describe me, but God thru His Word has reminded me of His definition of beauty. 

In 1 Samuel 16:7 we read, "For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” Make-up and the perfect outfit doesn't make me more or less beautiful in God's eyes, but the motives of my heart and the love that flows from it are what He sees. (Now there are times He shows me there's ugliness there too, but that's another post for another day!!)

Friend, the words on this shirt reminded me of another truth...beauty isn't necessarily based on our appearance it can be a result of the things we do. God sees the things we do as beautiful - sharing the Good News, proclaiming peace, bringing good tidings and proclaiming salvation...this delights God's heart!

What beautiful thing have you done today?? (On a side note...I have worn my new shirt and am blessed by the reminder of this beautiful conversation every time I put it on!)


How beautiful on the mountains
are the feet of those who bring good news,
who proclaim peace,
who bring good tidings,
who proclaim salvation,
who say to Zion,
“Your God reigns!”
Isaiah 52:7

7 comments:

Teske said...

This post is BEAUTIFUL, Jill, just like you. I kept thinking of 1 Peter 3:3-4, which read: "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight."

Rachel Beran said...

That's exactly why I bought it for you Jill...you are beautiful from the inside out, bringing the message of Jesus to everyone who comes in contact with you! You are BEAUTIFUL!! That's the way God sees you. That's the way I see you. :) And I agree with Teske. This post is beautiful too...because you're doing just what the shirt says right here today. ((HUG)) to my beautiful sister in Christ, Rachel

Rachel Beran said...

P.S. God is soooo good!! :)

Kimberly said...

Oh, Jill! I know I would have had the exact same hesitations! I love, love, love how God redirected your heart and how you are now wearing the shirt. You are a woman who is continually sharing Jesus and shining Him. You are beautiful inside and out!

Love you!
K :)

Jill Beran said...

Yes, Teske that verse comes to my mind as well! Thank you for your kind words and for the beautiful work you do in my life and the lives of many!!

Jill Beran said...

Rachel, you are too kind! And thank you for the shirt once again...God has used that gift! Hugs to you as well!!

Jill Beran said...

So good to know I'm not alone!! I too am grateful for God's willingness to redirect my heart! I just might have to get you a shirt and we can be twins!!