Saturday, August 25, 2012

I didn't want to do it!

I'm beginning to see a theme - in my last post I wrote about being a mess and in this one I'm going to share about cleaning one up.

Earlier today, my 2 year old son came into the house and he'd obviously messed his pants. He's been potty training, but over the last few weeks has went without any accidents, so I'd thought I was past this fun task for awhile!

Not so much...I set my agenda aside and went into the bathroom to do something I really didn't want to do! It was a mess and cleaning it up really wasn't on my list for the day. But you know, it wasn't on anyone else's list either, so I did what every Mom does and cleaned it up.

As I was doing the dirty work and honestly thinking, I really don't want to do this; I was reminded of my previous post - I too am a MESS and somebody has to clean me up.

Wow, did that put things in perspective!

Take a minute and look at Luke 22:42, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” In my mind, I can translate Jesus opening words to sound just like mine - going to the cross was really something He didn't want to do. Yet how did He close His prayer? Jesus was all about God's will not His own.

Now cleaning up a dirty, stinky two year does not compare to Jesus death on the cross, but (though I hate to say it) there are endless comparisons between by my son and me - there's dirt in my past and my sin stinks! Could you say the same?

I pray you do because honesty is how we deal with the mess; we can't clean it up if we don't admit it's there. Friend, though I didn't want to clean up my son - I did. I love him and as his mom I was created to take care of him! In the same way, Jesus didn't want to clean up our sin by dying on the cross, but He did. He loves us and was created to take care of us!

He was also created to do the work His Father called Him to and so are we...so what's on your "I don't want to do it list" today? Follow Jesus's example and do the work He calls you to!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wrote about child cleanup and other circumstances that breed discontentment in my heart as well, Jill. It was a very inspiring ending encouraging us to live as Jesus did: "Not my will, but Thine." Blessing, friend.