Monday, March 8, 2010

A year older...

Last week was my birthday and for the first time in 34 years I honestly felt like I was getting older! I suppose 4 children will eventually do that to a person! As I thought about this, my mind took the next step - if I'm a year older, shouldn't I be a year wiser?

I'm sorry to say I wasn't as quick or confidant with an affirmative answer to that question. Lately it seems I've unintentionally fallen into some old habits - primarily doubting when I should trust and worrying about other's approval rather than focusing on God's!! When I realized this I felt more like someone turning 3 or 4, not one with the 3 in the ten's place!

I look back at my life, even in just the year that has passed, and I know God is faithful and worthy of my trust. I also know seeking the approval of anyone aside from God is simply setting myself up for failure, so why do I do it? Like I said, my body and mind get the older part that comes with another birthday, it's the wiser part I'm not so sure about.

Needless to say I wasn't surprised when our Sunday school lesson for the week was from Proverbs - one that specifically contrasted the fool's walk with that of the wise. I know the fool's walk is one I want to avoid, which means the only other option is walking in wisdom.

To do this I must remember this is a walk that will never end - though birthdays will come and go there will never be a magic age when I receive a gift full of wisdom guaranteed to get me through. No, this is something I must constantly seek and sometimes it will be found as I walk along this path of life.

Now a few days into this new year of my life, I believe God is making me wiser as He reminds me it's not just about seeking wisdom and even asking Him for it, it's more than that - I must receive it and then comes the hard part - apply it!

I'm looking forward to the year ahead - chances are a year from now I'll feel even older (my baby will be walking!! - which means I'll be running!!), but I also believe God will bless me with wisdom too!

2 comments:

Lisa Smith said...

Jill--I am looking forward to exploring here when I have a little more time. I just stopped by this morning to say your kind words at my blog truly blessed me! May you receive blessings for the blessing today!!

love, lisa xoxo

Rachel Beran said...

I'm right there with you girl...34 in 3 months. You know, it's not such a bad thing to reflect on our life, to remind ourselves of the goals for the year ahead. As you continue to seek wisdom, receive it and apply it, God will bless you. The coming year is going to be another year of GROWTH, and not just for Jed. :)