Sunday, June 14, 2009

"Who am I?"

On my morning walk I was enjoying the solitude and beauty of God's creation when my mind focused on the question above. "Who Am I?"

I'm sure thoughts went there because it's been a question that's been rolling around in my head for awhile. Nearly a month ago I was in the depths of depression, something I hadn't experienced for 10 years. In the time since I've been grateful that God has lifted me out of the pit. I have also spent sometime reflecting on the thoughts my mind can create.

In the midst of depression it seemed my head was filled with lies. I thought somebody else could do my job better, someone else deserved the "good" more than me, and yet another was more valuable. Now with a sound mine, a true gift from God, I can see more clearly. It's obvious my vision was cloudy, but this morning I was struck with the fact that it doesn't take depression to make that happen.

In my last post I wrote about the sin of comparison - it's true God doesn't want me to compare myself to others, He doesn't so why should I? He doesn't want me to, but yet at times I do...

So to fight that battle I have to focus on who I am. This is something I've thought about for years and have many different answers - Dan and Judy's daughter, Jamie and Jenny's sister, a basketball player, Job's wife, a math teacher, a coach, J.D., Joy and Jaylyn's mom, so and so's friend, and on and on...

This morning though it was as if God told me not to think about my answer to the question, but instead to focus on His. And as I did that, it seemed my walk ended all too soon!

My time to write this post will do the same, but for now I'm curious how you'd answer the question, "Who are you?" and remember think about how God would answer it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, so leave them as a comment or post them on your blog. I'll be back to share more of my thoughts as well.

2 comments:

On Purpose said...

Hello Jill,

Thanks for visiting my blog...what an awesome treat to be led here this morning to your blog!

"Who am I?"

Gods Daughter...and now I am off to go live like it today!

Love to you!

Rachel Beran said...

Jill, I'm a little slow at the commenting thing...sorry. I read this right after you posted it and it got me thinking. :) Your posts have a way of doing that.

Anyway, today I posted, "I'm Not Who I Was."

Who am I? I am a "new person", joint heir with Jesus, chosen as His child...hand picked by Him. Now, if only I can remember that and start seeing myself the way He sees me. I pray that for you as well!