Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Just what I needed to hear...

Ever feel like God is doing all He can to get your attention? As I read Lysa TerKeurst's book "What Happens When Women Walk in Faith" it seemed He was talking to me. This week we are looking at chapters 12 and 13 which Lysa's titled, Learning to Lead and Death Does Not Mean Defeat.

As she opened the first chapter Lysa had my attention reminding me of the fact that I am setting an example - people are watching and modeling the things I do and say. This has been an important concept to me since junior high when I looked up to the high school basketball players, continued as I became the coach, but today I was reminded of the leader I am in my home. With 6 little eyes watching my every move and mimicking the things I do, I must constantly be aware of how I am leading. It's not just with my actions, but they see my spiritual life as well.

Which leads into other questions she posed, "What if I'm not good enough?" "Am I more concerned with pleasing others than I am God?" "What if I mess up?" If I want my children to obey and trust God, they need to see me do that very thing. I can't let fear and worries hold me back. Of all people they know I am not perfect, so what better way to show them that God really does use imperfect people?

In the past I have been excited to think about what God has done and might do thru me, but Lysa's words have created some new excitement. How wonderful to think how our obedience to God might influence someone else, maybe our own children, to step out there and walk in faith as well!!

As I look forward to seeing my children do that very thing someday I know God is preparing me to take the walk now. And as I do it's great to remember that I don't need to worry about where the journey will take me, instead just trust the One who is leading! And as I do what is possible, He will take care of the impossible!

One this journey it seems the one the thing that is impossible is what Lysa addresses in chapter 13 - death!! It doesn't matter what kind of death it is - the actual loss of life, that of a dream, a relationship, the end of anything, dealing with it is hard and often something we don't understand.

But like Lysa said, it gives us an opportunity for growth. Whatever the loss, our experience will draw us closer to Him. As I let go of my plans and the things I think I control I realize it's all about Him. Experience has taught me that the less I rely on myself the better off I am. I'm sorry to say I need to be reminded of that fact all too often, but God provides and continues to show me His ways are higher than mine.

I loved the way Lysa said when I stop fretting, God can start fighting! Oh were those words I needed to hear. I have been waiting since Friday for some medical tests today which I thought would answer the questions we've been facing, well I had the tests, but feel I was simply given more questions instead of answers. It seems I've spent the last 72 hours doing some major fretting, so as I wait I will stop and simply pray that now God will take advantage of the opportunity to fight. (Just like my children are doing right now!!!!!)

As I do that I am reminded to simply trust because He is perfect! Everything about Him - His strength, timing, plans and the peace that He provides. So on a day that has reminded me things don't always turn out the way I expect, Lysa's words were just what I needed to hear! I pray God has worked thru the book to speak to you as well.

4 comments:

Yolanda said...

Your writing today, held me spellbound!

May God fight this fight as you turn the fretting over to Him.

Blessings,
Yolanda

amy & lisa said...

I think it is easy to forget that even if we don't think we are a leader, we really are just by our presence around little people (and big ones too!) Good thing God is able to help us to be better leaders to the people in our lives.

It is just so good to be able to put our trust in someone who truely cares and works out the best for each of us. Praying God will carry you through whatever comes your way and you can have more answers then questions.

Unknown said...

Oh sweet Jill! These chapters spoke volumes to me as well. I've really been struggling with a book God has called me to write. It's not what I had dreamed of writing.

As I read through this weeks chapter's, particularly 13, it reminded me that the book is actually a testimony to how God used a time of death to birth a new and more intimate relationship with Him. He was working the whole time. I never needed to be concerned, angry or frustrated. He had it under control the whole time.

I know the same is true in your situation. We will pray for you and your family, all the time knowing God is working, like He always is. He will birth something good out of your circumstances!

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Isn't it amazing how we are living these chaptersas we live them. Kind of scary!! Check out 2 Tim. 1:12 (NLT)Lysa gave in her devotion today (Friday)-"for I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that HE is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until the day of his return." This is my new prayer-to trust He is in control of my childrens life and He will capture their hearts!!

In His Graces~Pamela