Monday, April 9, 2018

Fighting Like A Fish

I'm not much of a fisherman, but the other day I found myself thinking about reeling in a big catch. I can honestly say I've never done this myself, but I've heard the stories my husband and children share and even witnessed a few as well.

A few years back my daughter caught a big catfish on the Mississippi. Depending on who tells the story it took anywhere from 30 minutes to over an hour to real him in. He was a fighter and put all the fisherman to the test. Everyone in the boat took a turn at reeling him in and eventually their efforts were rewarded.

Personally, I don't understand all the strategy and technique. I get a bite and am barely able to set the hook. On the rare occasion that I succeed I'm often too quick to try and reel in my catch. I've definitely lost more fish than I've caught, but you didn't come here to read about that.

Friend, regardless of your experience with a pole, I think we can learn a bit from a fish.

First of all, as believers in Christ, Matthew 4:19 says you and I are called to be fishers of men. In the same way my husband and children try to catch a bass or walleye, we are to reel others in for Jesus. May we remember to be careful as we do our job...we must be patient in the process and not reel too fast.

But the lesson that may be more important is: we don't want to fight like a fish. If we've accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior, we've been chosen, God has caught us, we are His. He is with me now and the Holy Spirit lives within me, but in a way He won't reel me in til I meet Him in heaven. The same is true for you.

God has me on His line, but there is a battle within. Galatians 5:17 tells us, "For the the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for those are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do."

I read God's Word and call out to Him in prayer. He feeds me with His Truth and guides me with His Spirit. I try to live out Galatians 2:20 and crucify myself with Christ, but sometimes the flesh wins. God tries pulling me closer and the sin in me pulls me away. I'm like the fish pulling out the line, thankfully I have a good, loving Father full of wisdom and patience reeling me in.

Friend, I don't know what struggle you are walking through, but I know the battle rages on. Whether it's a new sin today, an idol from the past or pain that's been buried deep may we each heed these words from Isaiah 44:21-22 - "Remember these things, O Jacob, and Israel, for you are my servant; I formed you; you are my servant; O Israel, you will not be forgotten by me. I have blotted out your transgressions like a cloud and your sins like a mist; return to me for I have redeemed you."

If there is something that has us feeling distant from God, drifting from our Creator or fighting our Father may we remember these key truths -

God's line can't break and He won't throw us back. No matter how Satan tries to shame us, what guilt fills our heart or regret our minds, we must cling to Romans 8:38-39. It says, "For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

We have the power to choose; we don't have to be a fighting fish. I'm sure a fish's natural tendency is to resist the pull of a line and as fleshly human beings we too have inborn tendencies. We have the desire for comfort, selfishness and pride. Sins of all kind come quite natural. We have habits and ways of thinking that are hard to change, but we have power within us to do the impossible. The next time we're tempted to fight like a fish may we consider the choice we're presented in Romans 8:5 - "Those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh; but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.

Heavenly Father, I'm so thankful you've chosen me. As you reel me in and pull me close may I remember that is good. Though temptations catch my eye and outside things pull at my heart may I give up the fight. Help me die to self so that I can live for you. May I make the choice to set my eyes on you and my mind too. Father God, with you all things are possible and may I never forget that nothing can separate me from you. I praise you for your mighty power and amazing grace. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments: