Wednesday, April 11, 2018

An Emergency


 “Mom, hurry!! It’s a mergency!!” The words I heard as I opened the door and was greeted by my then 5 year old son.

After being told to avoid the mud, J.D. and his 3 year old sister, Joy, had left the house to visit their dad in the shop. Not much time passed and J.D. returned in a bit of panic. He was missing a boot and covered in mud when he proceeded to tell me, “Come quick! Joy’s stuck in the mud!!”

We rounded the side of the house and found our stationary princess. It truly was an "emergency" which was handled rather quickly. Nothing that dad’s strong arms and the water house couldn’t take care of.

Much has happened in the 10 years that have passed, but we continue to laugh at the story and smile at the pictures. Today though I thought of this story for a different reason…

God’s been showing me there are some things in my heart and on my mind that He needs to deal with. Realizing this is good and important, but it’s not enough. I need to do something about it; I must join God in the process. I need to surrender and search the Scriptures. I must trust and obey. And friend, these things take time and effort; transformation doesn’t happen overnight.

I started realizing some of this almost 10 days ago, but have yet to really commit to digging in and doing the work. It’s not a life and death situation and it won’t make or break a relationship, but yet it’s important, which got me thinking.

My children’s "emergency" from years ago had to be dealt with, my friend battling cancer needs medical attention and my daughter’s friend with a broken arm made a quick trip to the hospital. When it comes to our physical and health needs, we are pretty quick to seek help. We follow that up by obeying the Dr.’s orders, but what happens when it’s a spiritual emergency or a condition of our spiritual heart?

Like me, do you ever find yourself aware of something that needs to change, a sin that needs to stop or lies that need to be replaced with Truth? If we are walking with the Lord and He's doing His sanctifying work, it will happen. Clearly God will do His part, but friend, will you and I do our's?

Thankfully, not every spiritual heart check leads to an emergency, but I believe I need to do a better job responding so it doesn't do just that. As a wife and mom, I constantly have needs to meet and regardless of your roles or titles life has demands for you too. As women we care for others, but there comes a time we must remember we need to take care of ourselves as well.

In life's emergencies, we're quick to push pause and set things aside, what if we did the same for spiritual ones? When we are sick and our bodies demand rest, we eventually take time off. Shouldn't we do the same when our hearts are broken and our souls need rest?

Friend, our lives all look different, our spiritual health is unique and our heart conditions vary, but our God is the same. He wants us healthy. His Son made a way for us to be free and He promises us rest. Take some time today to let the One who created your heart, examine it. Then make yourself available and allow Him the time to heal it. Let the One who knows your thoughts, renew your mind. Ask Him to replace the lies you believe with the Truth of His Word.

In life, emergencies are no fun, in a spiritual sense they aren't either. Today I pray we make the choice my children didn't years ago...let's obey our heavenly Father and listen to His direction.

1 Corinthians 619-20 says, "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." These words alone should encourage us to take care of our body, mind and heart. 

"Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world." (1 Peter 5:7-9) Avoiding spiritual emergencies isn't easy when Satan is constantly on the attack, but through prayer and reading the Word it is possible. 

Friend, if we want to care for others, we must care for ourselves. We can do just that by living out the command in Romans 12:1-2 - "I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

There really aren't many "emergencies" like the one my children faced in the pictures above; more often than not we recall them with tears instead of laughs. You and I can work to avoid a spiritual emergency if we take the time to go to God and let Him take care of us. Will you do that today?

No comments: