Monday, February 5, 2018

Learning from a Loss



Sports…they are truly just games, but they can give us a glimpse of life. This past weekend my daughter’s junior high team participated in a tournament that found us matched up with schools 5 times the size of ours. Now basketball is basketball, but sometimes opportunities and numbers play a part in development. We saw this as the day came to an end. We lost each game, but yet as a coach and mom, I know there were benefits in all that took place.

I briefly shared some thoughts with the team before we all went our own way; then my daughter and I discussed things to a greater extent. Two days have passed and I continue to think about it. I have realized there are not just lessons for the Wildcats, but friend, as believers there are things you and I can learn as well.

 Teammates Are Necessary

 At times during our regular season, one player could get the ball and go score…that doesn’t happen very easily when the competition is strong. When a team runs a full court press, players must work together to get the ball in. When life is hard and trials come, we can’t stand alone. We must ask others for help and prayer. When God calls us to ministry and equips us to live out the great commission, we must work together. We are each unique as is our call, but together we are the body and that is important.
"Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it." 1 Corinthians 12:27

Focus to the Finish

It would have been easy for our girls to give up, but they had to persevere and finish what they started. This phrase also makes me think of my other daughter’s team…the young Cats won their first two games and then lost by 2. A little too much confidence may have contributed to that loss, so all in all no matter what it is we are doing or the circumstances of life we must set our eyes on Jesus and the task at hand. We can’t be content to go through the motions or so discouraged we give up all together. Basketball players have to focus play after play; disciples of Jesus must be focused moment after moment.
"Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2

A Wake-Up Call

Thinking about loses had me reflecting on a few defeats I suffered in my playing career. Those thoughts led to a powerful statement…sometimes a loss wakes a team up and sometimes a trial can do the same for a Christian. Prior to Saturday, both of my girls teams had been on win streaks. Things were going well, progress was being made and everyone was happy. In the moment these loses were tough, but I told them sometimes you grow and learn more from a loss than a win. When wins follow wins it can be easy to take things for granted and not work as hard, but that’s not a formula for long term success. When life goes well, we can do the same. Sometimes we’re tempted to do things on our own and forget to rely on God for everything. Just like a loss reminds a team there’s room for improvement, a trial reminds a Christian God is in control.
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
James 1:2-4 

An Eye Opener

To build on the previous point, defeat opens a team’s eyes to where improvement is needed and conviction helps a believer see their sin. Losing isn’t fun and neither is conviction, but they both play a role. Some of the most successful teams can look back at a loss and know it played a key part in future victories. The same is true for disciples of Jesus…some of our most difficult times in life are the ones where we experience God’s presence the most and are ones He uses to minister to others through us.

 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

It Will Happen

Losing is a part of sports. I personally don’t know anyone involved in athletics who has never won every competition they participated in. If you suit up for a team, chances are pretty high you will eventually experience defeat. In the same way if you call yourself a Christian, you will be persecuted. As a young girl, I dreamed of playing for a state championship, envisioned making the winning basket and lots of other great things, but I never thought about losing. I can say the same about my early days as a believer…I thought about serving the Lord, ministering to others and growing closer to Christ, but I never once anticipated being persecuted for my faith. Thankfully, the persecution I experience pales in comparison to what some brothers and sisters walk through, but yet just like losing, it happens.  The important thing is how are you prepared to respond when it does? Will you quit the team, give up and move on to the next thing? Or will use this as motivation to not only get better, but grow closer to Christ? Like I told the girls, the answer is up to you!

Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. John 15:21

2 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

Hey Jill. You are gifted at analogies. From from farm to basketball. I love how you bring God's Word alive through stories and analogies. This was so good. Thank you for the teaching. And, I'm so sorry for the girls. But, I'm thankful they have you to carry them along and teach them in the losses and the wins.

Unknown said...

We can’t be content to go through the motions or so discouraged we give up all together. Thanks for this great reminder.