Sunday, February 18, 2018

Excell Still More

At the completion of our basketball season, we gave the girls evaluation forms. The other coach and myself rated the girls on various categories in hopes to motivate them to improve for next year. This job was not easy and I found myself giving many needs improvement and average scores. Prior to passing these out to the girls, we shared that they are in junior high and each have potential for improvement. I even made the statement, "As 7th and 8th graders, you should not be peeking at this point in your playing careers."

The girls didn't say a whole lot after their initial read through, but in the days that followed I found myself thinking about them quite a bit. I found myself thinking...I hope these forms served as motivation not discouragement. I hope the girls can focus on improving their weaknesses instead of being defeated by them. I hope they know with work they can be even better next year than they were this year.

My thoughts didn't stop there; instead God did what He usually does and applied this lesson to my life. First I wondered, "How would the girls evaluate me as a coach?" Then it went a bit deeper - "What if Job evaluated me as a wife? Or my kids filled out a 'Mom' evaluation?" And the deepest thought of all - "What if God was completing it?"

Reflecting on the day that had passed immediately brought to mind areas that needed improvement. I thought about things I'd done wrong and times my patience was short. The temptation for condemnation was there, but thankfully I tuned out the lies from Satan and focused on some positive words loved ones had shared with me as well.

Just like each of my basketball girls, I've had moments of success, but I also have plenty of room for improvement. Friend, can you say the same? I don't know what your roles are, but could you do better? How do you respond when someone says there's room for improvement? Do you see that as a positive or a negative?

Athletes tend to be competitive and have a drive to do better so this type of talk should be motivating, but I know it can be discouraging in ways as well. Improvement takes time and work, but in the world of sports that translates to success. Improvement costs the same for a wife, mom and follower of Jesus too, but it's rewards are priceless.

I encourage you to find some time to think about the roles you play and attitude you have. If you're really feeling brave discuss these things with a loved one. Ask them how you are doing. If you want to really improve, spend some time in the Word and in prayer and ask God to evaluate your heart.

As the answers come, don't be discouraged. I coach my kids and see their potential; God created you and knows your future. He wants what's best for each of us. We'd be wise to listen to what He says and then work on what He suggests.

These thoughts brought to mind a powerful passage I've been meditating on. In 1 Thessalonians 4 Paul says, "Now as to the love of the brethren, you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another; for indeed you do practice it toward all the brethren who are in all Macedonia. But we urge you, brethren, to excel still more." (Verses 9-10)

Just like these people from long ago, we most likely know what we need to do, but can be encouraged to excel still more! I don't know if it's love, forgiveness, obedience, abiding in the Word or something else, but can I encourage you today to do it better today than you did yesterday. Like my junior high girls, you and I have room for improvement! Don't peak today, but instead keeping work towards perfection for tomorrow!! 

No comments: