Monday, August 1, 2016

Dance in the Rain

A BIG welcome to those of you joining me from the Encouragement Cafe today. I pray my devotional, "Wisdom for the Wait" was one God used to speak to your heart. If you haven't read it and would like to, you can click HERE.

Waiting isn't something we like to do, but I'm sure we agree it's something we have to do. Just last week I was reminded of something else we can do in the wait...

Last Friday our church hosted the first ever H.E.A.R.T. of a Champion sports camp in memory of my niece, Grace. We were all looking forward to the day and many had been working hard in preparation. We'd been praying for much, including the weather. The event was taking place in our church yard, so we were praying the sun would shine.

Well the pitter-patter of raindrops woke me up at 4:30. I couldn't believe it and a bit of anxiety set in. I started to pray, eventually crawled out of bed, glanced out the window and then checked the radar. It looked like it wouldn't rain much and was predicted to end soon, so I prayed some more. In time my husband joined me, peeked out the window and watched the radar. His thoughts, "If I was going fishing, I'd go."

After an hour, the phone rang...Christine, the other camp planner, wondering if she should contact our local school's athletic director about moving the camp to the gym. We talked and decided to wait an hour. Time passed, prayers continued and the rain increased. We talked again and thought we'd better look at plan B. She hung up with plans to call the AD.

As I waited for the rain to stop and the phone to ring, anxiety increased. Finally, I realized regardless of the location the camp was going to happen so I had to focus and prepare for the day. I woke up my kids, got myself dressed and started breakfast. My daughters woke excited for the day and then saw the rain. They were a bit concerned, but quickly got ready for a camp they'd been eagerly anticipating.

They all sat for breakfast and I again checked the radar as the waiting continued. With my back to my oldest girl, she says, "Mom, do you remember what your shirt says?" I was wearing my "Grace" shirt and on the back they have a few lines from an encouraging note she'd written. Joy read them to me, "Don't forget to dance in the rain. God's got you. Keep looking up." The rain had not stopped, but my perspective changed.

Worry disappeared and peace came. The phone rang and we proceeded as planned. Christine couldn't connect with the AD, so we headed to the church trusting the One who was in control.

Things were a bit crazy as we scrambled to adjust the schedule and prepare for registration. Extra towels were found, leaders were sweeping water off the wet basketball court and prayers continued. A bit before 9 the first of 50 some young athletes started to arrive, by 9:15 registration had ended and the rain had stopped.

The day had barely begun and God was already teaching me much. He is in control. His timing is perfect. His way is not always our's, but it is best.

So friend, what does this have to do with waiting? Like I said it's something none of us enjoy, but all of us do. Sometimes the wait is long, and it's almost always hard. The wait is something we can't control and never will change. Sometimes it's kind of like the rain...it will come whether we want it or not. The thing is what we do in the wait...Grace had a pretty good idea.

We can't control the rain, but we are in charge of our attitude. We can choose what we do while we wait...do we trust or worry? Experience peace or anxiety? Do we wallow or worship? Do we work or waste time?

Friend no matter what the day brings or how long the wait takes may we remember these timely words a friend shared with me Friday morning -


"This is the day which the Lord has made;
Let us rejoice and be glad in it."
(Psalm 118:24)

2 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

Jill, this is such a great story because it's all about perspective. You could have made it a miserable, grumpy, disappointing day for all. But Grace, from heaven, enabled you to do otherwise by fixing your eyes on Jesus. Thank you for this wonderful reminder that He is our anchor and the One in whom we should trust, no matter the circumstances, the weather, the diagnosis, the pain, the sorrow. He is good all the time and His plans are good.

Love you, me

Unknown said...

Jill, I couldn't agree more with Wendy. Your grace and your Grace has taught me so much about seeing things through Jesus' eyes. It's beautiful friends like you who make the wait bearable. Thank you for lovely YOU. xoxo