Sunday, April 3, 2016

Even If

Jehovah Rapha, the God who heals. I've been thinking about this name as I prep to study it in Wendy Blight's new book, "I Know His Name". I've experienced God living up to this name...He's healed me physically and spiritually. He's taken care of my children and healed others who I love. He's healed bodies and relationships.

"B" getting some love from Jed!
As I remember all the healing work He's done, I can't help but think about the healing that never happened. One specific situation rises to the surface...3 years ago my grandma was in a battle with cancer. We prayed and asked for healing. I shared about that journey in a devotional titled, "Not What I Expected" - I believe God answered our prayers...it was just in a way we didn't predict or want.

As I think about that now 3 years later much comes to mind and tears come to my eyes...


I find myself thinking about my grandma and missing her too. My children talk about her quite a bit and wish they could still go to her house. We'd all love to see her again, hear her laugh and feel her love, but for now we must wait until we're reunited in heaven.

And while we wait, what do we do? Honestly, sometimes we still cry and typically we thank God for the memories, but we also try to thank Him in the memories. And sometimes that is hard...I don't just want to remember the good times, I'd still like to experience them. Like my son, I too would love to go have ice cream with Grandma B, but since our prayers weren't answered like we wanted that won't happen.

That fact could leave me angry, and it could have caused me to turn my back on God, but instead it's drawn me closer. In His Word, God tells me (and you) not to lean on my own understanding (Proverbs 3:5). I don't understand why my grandma's time was up and perhaps you're confused by pain in your life, but friend that's OK. We don't have to rely on our own understanding, instead we must trust our faithful Father, the One who has a perfect plan and works things together for our good and His glory.

Our circumstances will change, but God never does! He is good, He is powerful and He is sovereign. As my grandma walked through her battle with cancer, I can remember hearing Kutless sing, "Even If The Healing Never Comes" and thinking that could be true for Grandma. The reality of her not being healed was something I needed to face and share with my children. As I thought about this, questions entered my mind - "If the healing didn't come, would I still say God was good? If the healing didn't come, would I still trust the great and mighty One?"

Nearly three years have passed since I told my grandma, "Good-bye" and friend can I encourage you today? I still trust the One who gave answers I didn't want, who worked in ways I don't understand and comforted me with arms I don't see. The peace that Paul talks about in Philippians 4:7 is real and it does guard our hearts and minds.

Can I encourage you to trust our heavenly Father, run to our Lord and find comfort in the One who saves even if? Even if your loved one passes away, even if the relationship is not restored, even if your plans fall apart, even if ______ fill in the blank.

Friend, let's keep seeking God, asking Him to fill our needs and praying for the miracle! May we also remember we are the one who does the asking, but God does the answering and sometimes those answers aren't what we want. In those "Even If" situations we will hurt, we will cry and we may even be discouraged, but may we cling to Him in our desperation.

If you are on the other side of an "Even If" situation may these words from Isaiah bring you comfort and hope.
Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and His understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary;
they will walk and not be faint.
(Isaiah 40:28-31)


G'ma supporting me, like she always did!
God is Jehovah Rapha...sometimes He heals disease and others He heals our broken hearts. He's a God of many names and is always able to provide what we need, but friend you and I must seek Him, fear Him and trust Him regardless of the name we call Him! 

Stay tuned I may have more to share when the week is over. Until then, what's your experience with Jehovah Rapha? Do you have an "Even If" story? If so, please share...I believe we can be encouraged by and learn from each other's stories! 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jill... this is so beautiful on so many levels. Thank you for sharing. And I will store this wisdom in my heart, "sometimes He heals disease and others He heals our broken hearts..." I love you... xo, noelle

Jill Beran said...

Thanks Noelle! Trying to cling to it as well!!
Love you!

Amber Paulsen said...

This really encouraged my heart... and made me tear up. :) I've been having some discouraging thoughts about my health -nerve damage symptoms. I love the verse you shared in Proverbs, someone else recently gave me that verse. God does bring me comfort, I praise Him for He is good forever. I'm also in the Bible Study of Wendy Blight's on Proverbs31 and really enjoying it. Blessings to you and your family, Jill.

Brooke Sprung said...

Thanks for sharing this, Jill.

Jill Beran said...

Great to hear from you Amber. I'll be praying for you as you walk thru this difficult diagnosis. Oh to remember He is good and worthy of our trust!! The Bible study has been wonderful...did you join the new group for the last chapter?

Jill Beran said...

Sure thing Brooke!! ALways great to hear from you!!