Sunday, April 24, 2016

A Prayer for the One who wants to Overcome

Friends, I'm grateful for the feedback you shared in response to my latest post. Sin certainly is something we all have in common and if you are joining me today with a desire to overcome that sin...this prayer is for you.

Next week, I'll be sharing a short study to go along with it, but what better way to prepare our hearts than through prayer. I've been praying this prayer for a few days and I encourage you to do the same. God loves when we go to Him and He answers when we call. If there is something I can be specifically praying about for you leave a comment or send me a message at jillberan@yahoo.com. I will lift you up! Blessings to you!!


Father God, You are holy and I am not. You’ve opened my eyes to sin in my heart. I ask you, God, to have mercy on me, a sinner. I fall short of Your glory…with my thoughts, words and actions, please forgive me.

Thank you for examining my heart and showing me my sin. Now that I’m aware, help me repent and turn from it. I don’t want to be a slave to sin Lord, but my choices and behavior sometimes contradict that desire. Because of Jesus, I should count myself dead to sin, but sometimes my flesh wins and I obey it’s evil desires. I have the desire to do what is good, but I don’t always do it.

Help me Father – I can’t do this on my own. Keep me from willful sins, don’t let them rule over me. Fill me with Your Spirit and tender my heart to be sensitive to it. Create in me a pure heart, O God and renew a right spirit within me.

Jehovah Nissi, I know this battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities of darkness. Satan is roaring like a lion looking for one to devour, don't let me forget that. And remind me to put on Your armor and pick up the Sword of the Spirit. And Father, thank you for the victory You have already won...help me walk in that.

Lord, help me let go of the unrealistic goal of being sinless, but please help me sin less. In the moment of temptation, remind me of your promise – You always provide a way out. Help me be humble enough to take it.

God, I love you and long to bring You glory…continue making me holy and help me see sin like You do. Thank You for Your forgiveness – help me receive it and be changed by it. El Roi, You see me and You died for me while I was still a sinner…may I always remember the price You paid. Help me be willing to die to self so I can live for You.

Father, I know You are able to do more than I can ask or even imagine, so I pray You will do that in the days, hours and moments to come. I can do all things through You who strengthens me. Your grace is sufficient…may it be strong when I am weak.

In Jesus’ precious and powerful name, I pray…AMEN

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this prayer Jill. I just printed it out and will be praying this over and over!!! I, as does everyone, have some things to work on and with God's strength pray I can become a stronger Christian and that I can sin less!! I love that! Thank you so much for being such a light in the darkness! God uses you in just the right time.

Jill Beran said...

Crystal thank you for your encouraging words...this prayer has been a powerful one for me, I pray that will be true for you as well. I continue to think of and pray for you!!