Tuesday, May 26, 2015

When you feel unworthy...

Have you ever felt unworthy? Me too. Just the other day actually. I really wasn't surprised because I'm actually preparing to speak about our worth in Christ and every time before I speak, I'm given opportunities to live the message I will share.

Friends, many things can leave us feeling unworthy - things we've done, things that have been done to us, words said, others left unsaid, opportunities missed, mistakes made and sin committed. As a basketball coach, I often said, "When you lose you should feel bad." As Christians I believe we could say something quite similar, "When you sin you should feed bad." As followers of Christ, we have the Holy Spirit in us and have the ability to know right from wrong, but yet sometimes we make the wrong choice...we sin. Sinning grieves our Father and if we truly love Him, we should feel bad when we hurt Him.

Sometimes feelings of unworthiness are part of the bad emotions we experience. Sometimes we feel unworthy because of our own actions. Sometimes feelings of unworthiness are warranted, but on the other hand sometimes they are not. There are often times we feel unworthy because of someone else or Satan himself.

Today I don't want to focus on the why of feeling unworthy, but instead the what. When we feel unworthy, what are we to do? I believe we can take a powerful and important lesson from Luke 15:11-24, the story of the prodigal son.

In this familiar story we have the account of two brothers...the younger one doesn't want to wait for his inheritance and asks his father to give it to him. His dad does and he sets out to live the life he dreamed of. Perhaps for awhile things go as planned, but eventually the money runs out, the fun ends and life gets hard. Things did not go as expected and he finds himself eating with the pigs. He then realizes his father's servants are living a life better than his.

In verse 18 our lesson begins; the young man thinks, "I will get up and go to my father, and will say to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me as one of your hired men.'" This young man had made mistakes and chances are committed some sin, but take note of what he did - he returned to the one he had hurt, the one who'd loved him. Notice the word he uses to describe himself - unworthy. He felt he had no value.

He didn't just think about going to his father, he did it. Verse 21 tells us, "And the son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'" The son confesses his sin and shares his feelings with his father. He does not feel worthy, but verses 22-24 paint a powerful picture. "But the father said to his slaves, 'Quickly bring out the best robe and put in on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet; and bring the fattened calf, kill it, and let us eat and celebrate; for this son of mine was dead and come to life again; he was lost and has been found.' And they began to celebrate." Friends, this father loved his son - feelings of unworthiness, warranted or not, were not going to keep him from him.

Oh how I've been reminded that the same is true of my heavenly Father and me. And for you and Him too. He loves us and does not want us, the ones He created, has a plan for and considers His masterpiece to feel unworthy. In the moments when those feelings are warranted He longs for us to come to Him and confess our sin just like the prodigal son. And when those feelings surface because we don't measure up or we allow others to define our worth, He wants us to run to Him so He can remind us of the value we have in His eyes and kingdom.

Friend, if you feel unworthy may you remember -

You are created in the image of our great God! "So God created mankind in His own image, in the image of God He created them, male and female He created them." (Genesis 1:27) 

You have the spirit in you! "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me." (Galatians 2:20a)

You have been bought at a price. "For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you for your ancestors, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect." (1 Peter 1:18-19)

God doesn't measure worth like the world does - it's all about our love for Him and obedience to Him. "Anyone who loves their father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me." (Matthew 10:37-38)

Dear Heavenly Father, 
I'm grateful that Jesus is the worthy One. Thank you for sending Him to take my place. Lord, when I feel unworthy, just like the prodigal son did remind me to come to You. Help me cast my cares on You knowing You care for me. Lord, I ask for a better understanding of who I am in your eyes. May I allow You and You alone to define me. Fill me with confidence to be who You created me to be and help me walk in a manner worthy of the calling You've given me. And Lord, I ask you to be with my friends reading this today, may they know the love You have for them and the value You see in them. In Jesus' Name, Amen

2 comments:

Amber Paulsen said...

What a beautiful post, Jill! I feel unworthy, most especially when the Lord reveals sin to me that I was blind to (which is often unfortunately). Yet, when I repent, He reminds me of His Truth and promises (like you did in the post above) and His grace washes over me. This post is amazing and I pray it reaches many people for their healing and God's glory. God bless you, my friend. May the Lord use you to open people's eyes to the Lord's goodness at the event. May you be refreshed, encouraged, and blessed.

Jill Beran said...

Great to hear from you Amber! Thanks for showing me God's answer to my prayer by sharing. Warranted feelings of unworthiness aren't bad in the fact that they drive us back to our Father and give Him another opportunity to melt and mold us. They may not be bad, but they can be hard!!

Thank you for your prayers and kind, encouraging words!! May your day of worship be uplifting!