Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Someone's Watching

Picking rock is something I shared about in my last post (you can read it HERE) and today as I spent more time in the field, God reminded me of another important Truth. Someone is watching! As my kids and I made trips up and down the field, we attempted to pick up every rock that was there. Like I said before, picking rock is a time consuming job that takes effort and attention...two things that can disappear quickly after a few days of the monotonous work.


So today, as we worked our environment was a bit different. My husband, Job, was planting corn in the same field. We were just a bit ahead of him and as I glanced behind me and saw him coming I had a thought - "If we missed any rocks, he's going to see them." With him sitting high up in the tractor with a a view of everything, there was no way to avoid him seeing our mistakes.


As this thought came to mind, it was quickly followed by another...Job's not the only one watching me, God is too. Unlike my husband, He has perfect vision and isn't distracted by the planter he's pulling. Scripture reminds us again and again of this Truth - 

"The eyes of the LORD are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good." Proverbs 15:3

"My eyes are on all their ways; they are not hidden from me, nor is their sin concealed from my eyes." Jeremiah 16:17

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account." Hebrews 4:13

"For your ways are in full view of the LORD, and he examines all your paths." Proverbs 5:21

This new thought then brought to mind the last lesson God taught me in the field. God sees all the rocks I miss. He's aware of the ones you overlook too. These rocks aren't the hard, heavy ones we find in the field, but instead are the sins in our heart. God is aware of the bad attitudes, hurtful words and wrong motives we overlook. He also knows the "rocks" we see, but may avoid because we're lazy, tired or simply don't want to do the work it takes to pick them up. 

Friend, initially the fact that my husband was watching made me a bit nervous and worried. I found myself thinking we must get every rock! Then I was reminded of my husband's loving and forgiving heart...he knows the kids and me are human who will miss rocks. He's grateful we're helping him and appreciates the work we do. So if you're anxious when you think about God watching every move you make and being aware of every rock you miss...remember who HE is - our kind, loving, forgiving Father! 

As I thought about this, I went from worried to motivated. I wanted to do a good job for the one I love. Knowing God is watching me live the life He gave, I should want to do the best I can for Him. That thought coupled with Deuteronomy 6:18 fills me with passion and purpose...how about you??

"You shall do what is right and good in the sight of the Lord, that it may be well with you and that you may go in and possess the good land which the Lord swore to give your fathers..." Deuteronomy 6:18


No comments: