Friday, February 6, 2015

Why Not Worry?

Do you ever worry? Even though you know you shouldn't. Do you find yourself getting anxious? Nearly 10 days ago, I was struggling with this...nervous about our big, upcoming family trip and a speaking engagement.

I know worry is something I shouldn't do. I know Philippians 4:6 tells us, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." The Bible tells me not to worry, but yet there are times I do. How about you?

This little reality in my life had me thinking...why do I do what I'm not supposed to do? The simple answer is "I'm human" and my flesh, at times, is stronger than the spirit. 

I know I shouldn't let my thoughts run. I know 2 Corinthians 10:5b tells us, "Take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." This is a command from Scripture, but yet sometimes I fail to follow it.

Realizing how and where I fall short is important, but as I thought about all of this, God brought a familiar passage to mind to motivate me. 

In our daily family reading, we read from Matthew 13 and the parable of the sower spoke to my heart. These are verses I've read countless times, but God's Word is alive and 5 little words in verse 22 caught my attention. Here we read, "The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful."

Friend, seeds are planted in our life that eventually bring us to Christ, but that's just the beginning, not the end. My husband farms and each year we plant crops in our fields...Job buys different seeds, better ones and even whole new crops. Then he plants them, God grows them and a crop is harvested. The "fruit" won't grow if thorns and weeds take over.

The same is true in our lives...God is always planting seeds in our heart, but are we keeping the soil of our heart fertile and ready? Part of that process is getting rid of worry! 

Friend, this simple little truth has been powerful in my life and I pray the same is true for you! So let me ask - "Why shouldn't we worry?" Perhaps like me you know the Bible tells us not to and you know it makes you sick, leads to wasted time and ruins your day. The next time this familiar foe tries to creep into your life remember it chokes out the Word!! So, regardless if you worry about not being good enough, what others think or the future, do what the farm would do with the thorns - get rid of them!

Worry makes the Word unfruitful and that my friend is the answer to our question!!

No comments: