Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Looking at the Lion

Today, just a few days after I'd experienced God working in powerful ways, I was feeling a bit discouraged. This past weekend I had the opportunity to speak at a women's event and was grateful for God's goodness and faithfulness. He called me, equipped me and used me; on top of it all He blessed my obedience and then confirmed what He's been whispering to my heart. It was good, but then today came and it seemed life was hard.

This morning I told my husband, "I think Satan saved the majority of his attack for after the event rather than before." I was wrestling with some doubt and feeling discouraged. As I thought about this, a post from back in 2009 came to mind. The picture the words painted was a reminder I needed and friend, I pray they speak to your heart as well.

There's a lion loose in Iowa and he’s made our farm his home. His very presence has changed our actions and altered my attitude. He’s made me fearful and caused me to worry. When I sense him prowling around, I think about the damage he can do and wonder when he will attack. He even affects my life when he wonders off and hides; it’s then I worry about what will come next.

He himself has not directly caused any harm, but the impact he’s made on me has created some damage. Only days before his arrival, I had taken leaps of faith, but now because of the fear he inflicts I am afraid to even take a step. Once I was confident, but now I'm full of doubts. Previously, I could hear the whispers of encouragement, but now his roar has drowned them out.

Now before you google lion in Iowa, search for the latest news and most recent pictures, let me tell you, “I have yet to inform the authorities.” You see, I thought this was a situation we could handle on our own. My husband’s a hunter, so I figured he could protect us. Our dogs are here and would warn us if the lion came to close. And besides this creature really had not hurt anyone yet, so why bother others when there are problems bigger than this?

First Peter 5:8 tells us, “Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victims to devour.” The words are true and though I can’t look out my window and see a wild animal, the picture I created is real. Our farm hasn’t been the lion's home, instead it’s been my mind.

When the devil tries to move in, he can change our actions and alter our attitudes. He can take faith and replace it with fear. His roar of lies can cause you to miss God’s whispers of truth.

And as he gradually does damage, he distorts our view. We can think the problem isn't that bad and often think we can combat him on our own. Simply another lie he tells when he moves in. No matter how strong we are and even if we have others surrounding us to help, it’s not a battle we fight on our own.

When there’s a lion loose, the authority must be informed. Rather than grabbing the phone and dialing 911, we must hit our knees and call out to the Lord. He will strengthen us and remind us of the victory He’s already won.

Friend, regardless of the situation you are in may I encourage you to be aware...Satan is real, he's on the attack and he wants to destroy. He loves it when our minds become his playground. We must keep the armor on (see Eph. 6) and always be on guard. I pray these verses not only encourage you, but also provide wisdom.

"But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion's mouth." 2 Timothy 4:17

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." James 4:7

"Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming." 1 Peter 1:13

1 comment:

Laura Hicks said...

Jill, what a great post! "Before we dial 911 we must call out to the Lord." Love it!!
Thanks for sharing.