Sunday, September 21, 2014

"What's on your heart?"

"What's on your heart?" When is the last time you thought about this? Have you thought about it? Do you know? Does it matter?

This is a question a friend posed to me the other day and those four words have my attention. I'll admit, I was caught a little off guard when she asked, but I did share what God had brought to mind in a quiet moment of prayer before we connected on the phone. 

A few hours passed and God again brought that question to mind; this time I had many thoughts go through my head. I was grateful my friend cared enough to ask and I was challenged to really think about my answer to her question.

Good things and hard things, reflections on the past and worries for the future all came to mind. Things I need to do as a wife and a mom, people and relationships, personal struggles, dreams and doubts sum up the list I jotted down. 

As I thought about this a few verses came to mind - 

"Test me, O LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind." Psalm 26:2

"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." Proverbs 2:23

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God." Matthew 5:8

I'm not sure anyone has asked you this question, but I believe God knows the answer! Friends, He sees our heart...it's an added bonus when someone asks what's on it. He knows what is weighing us down, what brings us joy and what our motives are. He examines our hearts, it's good for us to do the same.

In Proverbs we are instructed to guard our heart and it's hard to do if we aren't aware of what's on it.  If we are holding on to lies or replaying doubts in our mind they will weigh on our heart. As I thought about the things on my heart one thing that came to mind was the thought - "I'm not good enough." If I don't recognize this for what it is, a lie from Satan, I won't guard my heart against it. As you examine your heart, look for things that don't belong and guard your heart against them.

Finally, I've been encouraged as I remove what doesn't belong from my heart, I can better see what does. I can see the people as ones God loves; I can see the problems that God can work through; I can see roles God can use, I can see the me God created me to be. But best of all, when my heart is pure I can see God. And friend, you will too.

After I pondered her question for a day, I told my friend she should be glad she asked when she did...my answer had grown with every hour that passed. Initially her question was a surprise, but now I know it was a gift! So may I share it with you today and ask, "What's on your heart?" I'd be honored to hear your thoughts, but more importantly you'll be blessed if you really think about the answer. Take some time and make a list of all God brings to mind...I pray He will direct your thoughts, guard your heart and open your eyes.

3 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

I love how God used what seemed a simple question to stir up so much in your heart!! Today, I have things on my heart...big things...and I am so grateful for the Scriptures you shared. Thank you!!!

Blessings,

Wendy

Jill Beran said...

I love how God does that too! I'm praying for all you have on your heart today; asking God to give you wisdom for each and everything! Blessings back!

Unknown said...

Wow. What a great question, Jill! You are so right. We need to take the time to examine our hearts and see what is hanging out in there that needs to GO. Thanks for sharing what the Lord spoke to you. I know there are probably some things that have "slipped in the door" that need evicting! Asking Him to help me search my heart. Much love to you, dear friend! (And so glad you know that not being good enough is a lie that needs to go. YOU are a blessing.) :)