Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Busted

Good Morning Friend! What did you think when you read the title of this post? I've had this post open on my computer for the last day, just waiting for the time to actually write it. Honestly it's not one I really want to write, but it's one God has on my heart, so I will obey and trust He will work!

Growing up I was the good girl...I've never been busted in my life - well, by the police. This past Sunday night I experienced what it must feel like to be "busted" because I was, by God.

I had been trying to write my last post, "Sowing Seeds" but was constantly interrupted. After we put all the kids to bed, I thought, "Finally, I can get it done." I was about finished when my husband called for my help and instead of walking away from the computer I responded, "I've been trying to finish this all day...I'll be done in a few minutes."

Those few minutes turned into many and when I was done, my husband was too. He didn't say a word, but he didn't have to...God said it all. And honestly, the first thing that came to mind was "Busted"!

Here I was writing about sowing seeds and planting what you want to harvest, encouraging you to be intentional and reminding you that we reap what we sow. These thoughts came to my mind and I felt God impress on my heart, "What kind of seeds are you planting in your marriage?"

I was convicted and guilty as charged.

As the night went on, I couldn't sleep, so I got up and went to my knees. I confessed my sins to God because they are all against Him. (Psalms 51:4) And asked Him to help me keep my priorities straight.

Over the last 24 hours, I've been seeking His direction and one thing I feel Him leading me to do is step away from my blog for a bit. Not because He can't use it or I'm not supposed to some day do it again, but because He's asking me to.

Perhaps it's His way of reminding me that He's created me (and you) to not just be hearers of the Word, but to be doers. The other night I confused that with tellers. Friend, He does ask us to share our faith and His Word, but if we're not living it our words won't matter.

Back in college, one of my education professors liked to use this phrase - "Walk it. Talk it. Chalk it." He encouraged us as teachers we were role models and teaching about character or talking about it didn't do any good if we weren't living it out ourselves.

This situation has brought that phrase to mind once again and I've been reminded the same is true in a spiritual sense...first we must live our faith (walk it), then we can study and learn more about it (talk it) and then and only then can we try to encourage others and teach them (chalk it).

So why do I tell you this? Good question, but there are a few reasons...

One I appreciate you, my blog readers. I enjoy your comments and Facebook messages. We were created for community and it's a joy to share life and our walks of faith together. Thank you for taking the time to read my words and share yours, it blesses me more than you know! When God leads me back, I look forward to "seeing" you again!!

Two and most importantly, I share this because God has put it on my heart. Really, who likes to tell others about the time they got "busted"!! I know God expects us to be honest and I trust He works through our transparency, so I'm praying He will do that with this post. Perhaps you'll be encouraged to evaluate your priorities or maybe be led to embrace your conviction. I don't know, but I'm obeying and putting this in God's hands.

I have no idea when God will lead me back, but in the meantime may we be encouraged with these verses -

"because the LORD disciplines those He loves, as a father the son he delights in." Proverbs 3:12

"Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent." Revelation 3:19

"Blessed is the one you discipline, LORD, the one you teach from your law." Psalms 94:12

Friend, I'm asking God to bless your day! I will be praying for you and if God brings me to mind, I'd appreciate your prayers as well.

2 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

Jill, I so respect the decision you have made...to not only hear God's word to you but also obey it. It makes my heart sad because I will miss your amazing lessons taught from the farm. :)

But I believe that God will use this time to allow you to write your studies, lessons and maybe even a manuscript. ENJOY the freedom that comes in walking in obedience to God.

We will be waiting when you feel called to return.

Love you,

Wendy

Jill Beran said...

Thank you Wendy! Your words and encouragement mean more than you'll ever know. Blessings to you!
Love you too,
jill