Friday, February 7, 2014

Remembering My Regrets

In my last post I wrote about remembering God's faithfulness, but last night I found myself remembering my regrets. As I watched a high school basketball game, I could not believe 20 years have passed since I last sported the "Wildcat" jersey. This year's team was playing, but in my mind I was remembering a team from the past. It was fun to share a few highlight memories with my daughters...we were conference champs and I had some individual success, but whats lingered in my mind is the regrets.

I'm not dwelling on these regrets in a bad way and I understand I can't change the past, but I believe God has me remembering them for a reason. I know some will say they have no regrets because God uses all things for our good and His glory; I agree with that Truth - He can work bad from good, but I also know I'm a sinful being who lives in a fallen world. Friend, you and I will make mistakes and chances are we may even have regrets.

But God can even use them! Last night I believe He had me remember my regrets so that I would not repeat them. In high school and through much of my life I've often been the one who is quiet, intimidated and fearful. I've worried about what others would think and have often doubted myself. As I remembered my days on the basketball court I thought about this...my coach often referred to me as a quiet leader, but always encouraged me to share my love of and enthusiasm for the game with my teammates. I played with intensity and aggressiveness on defense, but offensively my fears limited me more than the opponent did. In our backyard I took shots and made moves I never did in the gym.

I didn't beat myself up as these thoughts entered my mind, but I have found myself praying and asking God to help. I want Him to keep me from looking back and having the same memories in another 20 years. The memories I'm making now are no longer linked to a game, but instead I think about my role as a Christian in the game of life. I have a passion for faith and a love for Christ and God wants me to share that with others...am I? Will I? God has gifted me and is calling me to do things...some that seem hard, others that intimidate me and a few that leave me thinking what will everyone think. Will these thoughts and challenges hold me back and leave me with regrets? I pray they don't!

How about you? What are some of your regrets? I challenge you to think about them and as you do pray and ask God to teach you something from them. Ask Him for strength not to repeat them, but instead help you remember them so that you can learn from them.

Remember regrets are not bad...they can lead to repentance. (2 Corinthians 7:10) And don't forget though regrets are often remembered, they don't need to be repeated!! Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." (Isaiah 43:18-19)

1 comment:

Joyful said...

Your writing makes me think of the question asked in Romans 6:21, "What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of?" The following verses continue to speak of being set free from sin and the new benefit which is ours that now leads to holiness, resulting in eternal life.

Embracing lessons learned and moving forward forgiven,
Joy