Friday, February 28, 2014

A Boy and His Blankie

My little Jesse man is a blankie boy! Our 3 older kids were never attached to a blanket, but our two little guys "need" their's every night. At times it can be frustrating...especially at bedtime and one of them is missing - the blankets not the boys!! The other day, my little guy wasn't feeling the best and I looked at him and his blankie in a whole new way.

I had the thought - my boy and his blankie should be a picture of a girl and her God! I'll admit my first thought in response was something like "Isn't that a bit too much?" But then I started to think a bit more...

In his blanket, my boy finds comfort. He wasn't feeling very good and he didn't want to read books or play with his toys; all he wanted was his blankie and me. He found comfort in what was familiar and it helped him feel better. As a girl, God provides the same for me! "I love the LORD, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live." Psalms 116:1-2

When my little guy is scared, he grabs his blankie and holds it close. As he snuggles in, he feels safe. And friend, isn't the same true when we think of what God does for us? " "Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand" (NLT)." Isaiah 41:10

Every night the last thing Jesse does before heading to bed is get his blankie. It truly is his security blanket!! Just like God is for his girls!! Friends, when we don't know where to turn or who to trust we can take refuge in Him!! "The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those who take refuge in him." Nahum 1:7

As I thought more about this I thought about the times we've misplaced our boys' blankies...talk about stress!! But during the time when we don't know they are missing, we're not concerned or worried or honestly even aware that we've lost what is so valuable. Though I hate to admit it, isn't that the case with God too? Just like my son, we know God's importance and value in our lives, but sometimes we are careless. Jesse can set his blanket down, walk away and then forget where it is when he needs it. I'm grateful my 2 year old doesn't need his blankie all the time, but you and I can't say that about God! Though that's the case will you join me in saying sometimes we walk away, sometimes we forget where He is? The good thing is we don't have to tear the house apart to find Him!! God never moves, He's always there...as His girls we must simply go to Him, confess our sins, share our heart and He will restore the relationship! "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9


Then finally, my thoughts took me to another frustrating situation...sometimes boy #4 hides boy #5's blankie. I don't think I need to explain the frustration this creates, but let's think for a minute how this picture compares to a girl and her God. Friend, do others ever try to take your relationship with God away? Do they come against your faith? Does Satan ever try to steal it? This can hurt and cause pain for my little man and for me as God's girl. But let us remember - NOTHING can separate us from God! And may we never forget we have an enemy and He is roaring, so may we "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8

Friend, today may you treasure your relationship with God in the same way my son values his blankie!! It's something that provides safety, comfort and security! He needs it when he's sad and enjoys playing with it when times are good! In the same way, God comforts, provides and keeps us safe! He is there in the good and the bad; able to hold us when times are tough and rejoices over us when all is well!! I'm grateful for the picture He gave me and don't think I'll ever look at my little boy and his blankie the same way again!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Jill!!! What a beautiful little fella and what an extraordinary analogy. Your words of wisdom are sooooo true, and I loved each of the verses you brought out. I even memorized Ps. 116:1-2 with BMoore and "Siesta" last year. I want to use it for my prayer journal (when I get it together). Yes, Yes, Yes, I treasure my God and my relationship with Him as your little one does his blankie. I'm so glad that God spoke to you through such a "precious" item; my 3 yr. old granddaughter is the same way about her blankie. I could truly relate.
Thankful for the ways God inspires you to write,
Mema Jeanne

Jill Beran said...

Thank you for your encouraging words...they mean more than you can know! I'm grateful when God speaks to me through my kids, their things and our situations. I guess He's always speaking, but I'm grateful when He helps me listen and see!! And the wonderful thing with God, as opposed to our little one's blankies, there's enough of Him for all of us!! Blessings to you Mema Jeanne!!