Wednesday, September 25, 2013

From the mouths of babes...

My Little Cookie Monster
My little Jed man is a rough and tough guy who loves life on the farm, enjoys a daily wrestling match and usually prefers grunting over talking! He really isn't a guy of many words and sweet isn't the first word that comes to mind when I describe him, but over the last few weeks he's said some words that are sweet. And they've put a picture in my mind.

Every night at bedtime, after prayers and before I've given him a goodnight kiss, he shares words that have touched my heart. Prior to any words from me, Jed says, "Love you too." For a few days I didn't think too much of this because I know he's simply repeating what he hears his older siblings say during the night time routine.

But the other night, after a day that had found Jed in trouble which led to unwanted discipline, I looked at it a bit differently. My little guy didn't wait for me to tell him I loved him, he started the conversation with "love you too." With those words he not only shared his love with me, but confirmed his understanding of my love for him.

Now perhaps I'm analyzing this a bit too much when it comes to a 3 year old, but thoughts of this has led to thoughts about my relationship with my heavenly Father. Shouldn't I too respond to God with Jed's words? Even on days that have been hard, when I've experienced discipline and even doubt. Those things shouldn't make me question God's love, but instead I need to be sure of it. So much so that before God even tells me He loves me I tell Him, "I love you too."

Friends, I've been reminded God loves you, and me. Though He allows hard things to enter our lives, disciplines us and calls us out of our comfort zone...He loves us. Often He does these very things because He loves us. Though our lives change, we sin and loved ones die He stays the same, never fails and will love us eternally. He is the One who created us, chose us and gave up His Son for us. Why do I question and doubt His love? Why do I worry that I could lose it?

I am so thankful for the words of my Jed-man and even more grateful for how God has used them in my life. I've been encouraged to share the sames ones with God and pray you have been as well.

"but God shows his love for us 
in that while we were still sinners, 
Christ died for us." 
Romans 5:8

No comments: