Thursday, December 8, 2011

"I can't!" - Part 2

The other day I wrote about a new way to look at the phrase, "I can't!" You can read all the details by clicking here, but to summarize I shared how sometimes "I can't" is actually what God wants us to say. These words are good when they are words of surrender. Basically for me it was the realization that I was at place where I couldn't do the task that God was calling me to and that is a good thing.

But over the last couple of weeks I think I've taken the thought that "I can't" is a good phrase a bit too far. Because honestly these two little words aren't always a good thing. When "I can't" becomes an excuse these words no longer please our Father.

Again this thought takes me back to my coaching days when girls on my team found themselves being punished for verbalizing the words my mind has been saying. "I can't dribble behind my back." "I can't do a left hand lay-up." "I can't get up that early to lift weights." "I can't...." These were words of doubt and defeat. I didn't want my girls to give up before they even began. And I didn't want a little work to keep them from being all I knew they could be.

Friend, the other day God brought all this back to mind and I felt like dropping to the floor and doing some push-ups. You see my "I can'ts" were rolling through my mind...I can't write...I don't have time. I can't write...she's better anyway. I can't be a good Mom...I lost my patience again. I could go on but you get the idea.

How about you? Do you have any "I can'ts" rolling around in your mind? Perhaps what God is calling you to is bigger than you ever imagined, maybe it requires time (or money) you don't have, perhaps it appears to be more work than you would like, I don't know, but I do know this - when our "I can'ts" are based on our abilities or resources they are nothing but an excuse. Think of God as our heavenly coach He knows what and who we can be and He doesn't want a little work, doubt or fear to keep us from fulfilling the purpose He has for us.

Would you join me in doing what my friend, Kimberly shared in a recent comment, lay your "I can'ts" at His feet. And as you do remember, He CAN and if He lives in you that means you CAN too!! I can do all things through him who gives me strength. Phil. 4:13

Off to do just that and for old times sake I think I'll do a few push-ups too!!!

No comments: