Wednesday, June 14, 2017

It's A Family Thing




Today most farmers no longer make small square bales, including my husband, but this week he did, which meant we needed to stack them in the hay mow. I'll keep things real and admit our kids are not always eager to do their chores; there are moments they complain and times they argue, but attitudes were good yesterday. (Perhaps that's why this rare job was a joy!)

My husband directed traffic and gave us all our job to do...the 3 oldest kids were stacking in the barn, our 2nd son was helping Job on the hay rack while our youngest was supervising from the nearby sandbox and I operated the skid loader which was attached to the rope that pulled the bale fork. It may sound like a complicated process, but it really went quite smoothly.

As I sat in the noisy John Deere, I could see our oldest through the barn window and watched our 7 year old eagerly help his dad. At times our "baby" would give me a thumbs up letting me know I was doing alright. Observing this was a treat...it's not every day we're all eagerly working together on a single job.

I'll admit this moment of joy caught me off guard...I never expected to enjoy a job in my 40's that I dreaded as a teenager! Unloading bales is work. It's often hot, itchy and time consuming, but yesterday our family job painted a picture. The efforts and effects of my "Team Beran" are similar to that of the body of Christ.

From the oldest to the youngest, we each had a role. Granted some of the kids thought Jed had the easy job and one even offered to trade, but in the end we completed our assigned task. Ephesians 4:11-13 says, "And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ."

Friend, if you are a believer of Jesus, you are a member of His body. Just like my children are a member of our family and were given a job to do, God has the same for you. The roles may look different and require various skills, but they are all equally important and required to complete the task of building His kingdom. I pray you and I will do them to the best of our ability and with good, godly attitudes.

I had a clear view of Titus 2 played out in front of me as well. This was the first time Jed was really old enough to help and really experience unloading hay with the bale fork. He was so eager and excited. He was observant and willing. He watched everything Job did and did his best to help.

As children of God and women of faith we need to play both of these roles - the model and the mimic. There are things we need to learn to do, so like Jed may we be teachable and look to wise examples. We also have skills, lessons and a faith to share, so like Job may we be patient and willing to help those who want to learn. Friend, if you are a mom daily life gives us this opportunity...may we treasure it and use it wisely.

My time in the great outdoors also reminded me of the power of encouragement. This isn't just important on the farm or with my family, but in the body of Christ as well. Our words matter and they make a difference. The things we say and the tone we use impacts others. Ephesians 4:29 says, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Is there a brother or sister in Christ who needs some encouragement? Speak the words today.

The majority of my life has been spent on a farm, I know farming and families go together and I'm grateful for the reminder that faith and families go together too! Friend, I don't know what role God has for you, but I know you are an important, necessary member of His body. I pray you accept your role, learn from others, do your best and encourage fellow believers.

A life of faith takes even more work and time than unloading a few loads of hay, but the effort is worth it and the reward is eternal. Keep pressing on and look forward to hearing from your heavenly Father what my kids heard from their earthly father - "Well done my good and faithful servant."  (So Job used sons and daughters, but you know what I mean, right? God created us to serve Him and will acknowledge us when we do!)

1 comment:

Wendy Blight said...

As always, I learn truth I know in a fresh way when viewed through the eyes of this precious farmer's wife. Thank you for teaching us about the hard work of life ... both earthly and heavenly. The reward for both is always worth it!!

wendy