Sunday, May 7, 2017

Same Role, New Result

It's a first! This past week we had something new happen on the Beran farm; I'm not just talking in the almost 16 years I've called this home, but in the 40 plus years my husband has lived here.

The other day during morning chores our oldest son was greeted with a new noise at the chicken coop. He opened the door like he did every morning with plans to do what he did every day - feed the chickens and pick the eggs, but on this brisk morning there was a surprise, something new. He heard baby chicks and quickly let everyone know.

All of the kids were excited and Job, my husband, was surprised. We weren't intentionally trying to hatch eggs and we didn't even know a hen was sitting on them. Job couldn't remember this ever happening before on the farm. As for me, the gal who is afraid of birds and avoids the chicken coop as much as possible, I was intrigued and grateful.

Amongst all the excitement, conversation and walks out to see our new feathered friends, Isaiah 43:19a kept coming to mind. It says, "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?" God had done something new on our farm and He's showing me He's doing the same in my heart.

Over the last nine months I've been on a journey of renewal and though there's too much to say for this short blog post, God's shown me something through our new baby chicks. I've been studying Scriptures and actually writing a Bible study and through this process and while on this journey with Jesus, I'm being transformed. Our heavenly Father is changing me from the inside out.

The other morning Job and I were talking about this and reflecting on the work God is doing. I looked back on my life and thought about the roles I've played - 41 years ago I was born a daughter and 2 years later I became a sister. The roles of friend, student and athlete followed. During college, I eventually traded in my basketball shoes for a coach's whistle and after graduation my time in the classroom began as Miss Biwer.

Through thses roles I learned to listen and obey. I was able to learn and be an example. I had to work and overcome. I was able to share what I knew and show others I cared. I was able to encourage and tried to make a difference in the world.

Half-way through my 2nd year as a teacher, God gave me a new role - I became a born-again believer and my life was changed. I eventually gained new titles - wife and mom. I left the classroom and the playing field, but became a student of the Word and started playing for an audience of One. In time, God led me into ministry and I know attempt to coach and give others a pep-talk as they live out their faith. I also try to share my faith and help others learn from the Word.

I think about these baby chicks that have brought a new joy to my kids and thoughts turn to the hen that hatched them out. In a way she did what she's always done - she layed eggs, but this time God brought some change that led to a new result. Friend, all along her eggs were good and brought nourishment, but this time they brought life.

God may have you in the same roles you've lived all your life, but is there a new result He can bring? Can He use what you've always done to not just help another, but to bring life and make an eternal difference? Perhaps you're a nurse who can not only care for the sick, but also point others to our great Healer? Or maybe your a lawyer, who fights for what is right, and now God wants you to defend the faith. Even a farmer who feeds the world can be used by God to plant seeds of faith that will produce fruit that lasts for eternity.

Friend, I don't know what role God has you in, but I encourage you to think about how He may want to bring a new result from a role you've always played. Our God is a great God who is doing something new. And we are a new creation who can be used for His glory in ways that surprise us and truly make a difference in His kingdom!


No comments: