Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Some things will stay the same...

It's election night...the evening started with my 13 year old doing play by play every 5 seconds. The girls were getting into it too and even our little guys were asking, "Who won?" I'm a gal who tends to be competitive and appreciates NFL score updates on Sunday afternoon, but tonight this was all just too much.

All day I've been a bit on edge and as the wait continued I found myself growing anxious. As we all know this election does not just impact the next 4 years, but has the potential to impact the next 4 decades with the supreme court appointments. With that reality I find myself wondering, and honestly worrying a bit about what the future holds for our kids and our future grandkids.

Tonight we eventually turned the coverage off for awhile...farm work called my husband and oldest son back outside, the other kids played UNO and I escaped to our bedroom to spend some time in prayer. This helped me put things in perspective and reminded me who was in control. As I cried out to the One who already knows the results we are waiting for I was reminded of an important truth. Friend, if you are feeling anxious and worrying about the change this night could bring I pray the following brings you peace, offers encouragement and points you to the King of Kings who is, was and will forever be on the throne!

It's a given that the future will bring change regardless of who wins the election. Change is a constant in life, but there are some things that will stay the same. Tonight I find myself clinging to two constants - who and what. Over the last couple of weeks I've found myself immersed in a study of holiness and as I prayed some of the truths I've been learning and studying rose to the surface.

Who God is will stay the same. God will not change. Pause and remind yourself of that truth. Malachi 3:6 assures us of this when we read, "I the LORD do not change..." He is the beginning and the end, the everlasting. And He is holy. Do you know what holy means? I asked my kids this question and they responded with some right answers - "without sin, set apart, different."

His holiness sets Him apart and it's a foundational attribute of the God we love, serve and follow. Holiness is mentioned often in Scripture, but tonight I want to focus on one interesting discovery I made in my study. In Isaiah 6:3 we read, "And they (heavenly creatures) were calling to one another: 'Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of His glory." Revelations 4:8b tells us this - "Day and night they (heavenly creatures) never stop saying: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come."

A few interesting things about this - one, this is the only attribute of God that is mentioned 3 times in a row. This characteristic expresses His awesome and majestic nature. This statement is made in the Old and New Testament which indicates that God is the same before Jesus' birth and after His death and resurrection. He doesn't change.

The other truth I've been clinging to, and challenged by, is what we are called to as believers. This has not, and never will, change. In 2 Timothy 1:9a we read, "He has saved us and called us to a holy life - not because of anything we have done but because of His own purpose and grace." This command is also part of Peter's words in his first book - "Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: 'Be holy, because I am holy.'" (1:13-16)

Friend, this is a calling we must not take lightly. The last couple months of the election process alone show us we live in a nation that is not holy. That is easy to see, but sometimes what's harder to recognize is our own sin is part of this. If we want change, we must let it start with us. I encourage you to take some time to ask God to search your heart and help you see where you fall short. We are called to be holy, to be set apart, to be different and that doesn't happen when we follow fleshly desires or live as the culture does.

That last paragraph has some heavy stuff, but there is some encouragement. On our own this can't happen - holiness is one of God's attributes that is not inherent, but it is possible through a relationship with Jesus. The one who gave us a helper - "And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever..." (John 14:16) Friend, this Helper is the HOLY Spirit. The third member of the Trinity will help us be what our Heavenly Father calls us to be.

Hours have passed since I started the post and the wait I was avoiding still continues, but the anxiety has lessened. Prayer has put things in perspective and these truths remind me of the foundation we stand on and the King we trust in. Friend, no matter who is president, God is God and we are called to be holy as He is holy. Let's continue seeking Him, following Him and abiding in His Word so that we can share His love, speak His Truth and spread His message.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Lord you are holy and I am not, but yet it's what you call me to be. I ask you to change me from the inside out. Make me more like you. Mold me and change me. Help me surrender so that you can transform. And Father God on this election day, I pray for our nation. May your people humble ourselves and cry out to you. You promise to hear us and never leave or forsake us. Help us keep our eyes on you, I ask you to fill us with peace and pray you would make us strong and courageous. Lord, we long for you to bless America and draw our nation to yourself. We know you hold the king's heart in your hand, may we trust you and continue to stay on our knees in prayer. In Jesus' Name...Amen


No comments: