Friday, January 29, 2016

The One Constant

Change...something I've never enjoyed and I still avoid - just ask my daughter who wants to rearrange my room! I know some people thrive on change, but it's something I never intentionally choose. It would be great if my opinion on change was all that mattered, but as you know that's not the case. Many factors influence what happens in my life and to me.

This past week we said "Good-bye" to my aunt Marie, who lost her battle with cancer not even 3 months after my uncle lost his. Our middle child, Jaylyn, turned 9 and the little girl who used to be timid and quite compliant is becoming brave and out-going. (This is good change, I know!) Today marks 6 months since we lost our niece, Grace...our lives have changed and her family will never be the same.

As this and more was processed in my mind, I found myself thinking about change. Like I said, I don't like it. I'm a first born, creature of habit, who likes to know what to expect. I'm also a former math teacher who knows A+B=C in algebra and thinks the same should happen in life. You may be reading this and think, "She just likes control." And I'm learning that statement is more accurate than I ever realized.

So rather than freak out with the thought of change, I decided to think about it. Friend, would you agree with me in saying, change is hard, especially the change I describe above. The change that involves life never being the same. The change that involves letting go, saying "Good-bye" and doing something new.

In reality that is the change that is happening every day. My daughter didn't turn 9 and become a totally new person. It's been happening, I just slowed down long enough to think about it on her birthday. Think about relationships in your life, I'm guessing many have changed. That change was most likely a gradual process as well.

Change is part of our days and our lives. I once heard someone say, "Change is the only constant in life." As I think about these recent big, hard changes I don't appreciate this fact. Rather than leave me in that place of disappointment God interrupted my thinking when I read Psalm 103.

Verses 13-19 say,
"As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him; for He knows how we are formed, He remembers that we are dust. The life of mortals is like grass, they flourish like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more. But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord's love is with those who fear Him, and His righteousness with their children's children - with those who keep His covenant and remember to keep His precepts. The LORD has established His throne in heaven, and His kingdom rules over all." 

Friend, I have no idea what change you are walking through right now...your bank account may have went down, a friend may have moved away, a move may have you in a new town, a baby may have changed everything, a Dr.'s diagnosed may have left life different. Motherhood changes us, marriage does too. In these roles, we have seasons and they change also. Change happens, but cling to this TRUTH - God doesn't change. He is eternal. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. (Hebrews 13:8) His love is eternal. His throne is established. And His kingdom has no end.

I have been studying Elohim, God our creator, and there is much to know about this name of God, but this passage supplies an important truth. Creation will deteriorate and/or die, but the Creator is constant.

You don't have to take my word for it...

"But you (God) remain the same, and your years will never end.
Psalm 102:27

"I the Lord do not change." 
Malachi 3:6a

"Grace and peace to you from Him who is, and who was, and who is to come 
and from the seven spirits before His throne." 
Revelation 1:4b

He is our healer and helper, provider and protector, Father and friend! He is constant and will never change!!

Elohim, you created the world, people, me. You have a purpose for change. I don't always appreciate or enjoy it, but you can use it. No matter what change comes help me remember YOU are always the same. You are faithful, good, loving and gracious. Your power can sustain me when we change wants to overwhelm me. Thank you for this short lesson on what really is constant in my life...YOU. May I draw near to you and know you more. In Jesus' precious and powerful name...AMEN

To close, a BIG thank you for all who stopped by and shared the story behind your name! And now for the winner - Heidi!! I'll be in touch! And for all the others, I pray you are able to get a copy of Wendy's new book, "I Know His Name"!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this post, Jill! God has been whispering this truth to me recently... He is the same yesterday, today and forever. I wish I could grasp the magnitude of this truth! Your words of wisdom are helping His word grow deeper roots in my heart. Thank you. I love you!

Heidi said...

This "hits home" more than you know for me too Jill! And thank you so much, I'm so excited... ;) I had to go back and look to see if any other Heidi's had commented lol! I love to read what you have written but don't often get to stop and comment. Thank you!!