Thursday, July 2, 2015

Sometimes it needs to be heard...


The dentist...not my favorite appointment as a child or as a Mom. The other day I had to take my 5 year old son, Jed, to get a tooth fixed. He'd been there in January and did fine with the whole process, but this time as the dentist prepared to give him the shot it seemed I brought a different child.

Jed was squirming in the chair, raising his arms and wanting NOTHING to do with the process. I walked over to the other side of the chair, took his hand and tried to encourage him. No change. We talked about how good he did last time, reminded him Dad would be proud and the other kids would think he was strong. None of this mattered and now tears were starting to fall.

As I watched him struggle I was praying. I'd been praying. We'd all prayed together at breakfast. Still, God seemed to be leading me to tell Jed we could pray, so that's what I said. Then Dr. Ray (Mr. Tooth Puller-Outer according to Jed) asked, "Is it OK if I pray for you?" Jed did a sheepish head nod and Dr. Ray began..."Dear Jesus, we ask you to help Jed. Give him courage...."

We said, "Amen" and Jed took a deep breath. I asked him, "Are you going to do it?" He again shook his head, laid still and squeezed my hand. The dentist was able to numb his mouth and do all he needed to do.

While I observed all of this, a thought entered my mind - It's good people know we are praying for them, but sometimes they need to hear it. Jed knew we had prayed and heard Job (his dad) say he'd be praying, but nothing brought peace like actually hearing the prayer in the moment of trouble. It was amazing to see God answer our prayer and fill my little man with peace. I honestly think he'd still have a sore tooth if we hadn't prayed.

Later that same day I mentioned to a friend in an email that I was feeling overwhelmed, a bit stressed and down. Awhile later she replied with some kind words and a typed out prayer. Granted I didn't 'hear' her prayer, but as I read it and prayed it myself, God worked. He brought me the same peace Jed had experienced.

All that to say, "Is there someone who needs to hear (or read) your prayer today?" Lifting others to the Lord is important and powerful, but when we take it a step further and share our words with them, I know God does something special. I saw Him do it this week. If God puts it on your heart to do just this and then opens the door, I'd love to hear your story, so stop back and share in the comments. Or if you've experienced the power of heard prayer, share that as well.

Today may we remember -

Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, 
it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 
Matthew 18:19

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. 
Colossians 4:2

1 comment:

Wendy Blight said...

Oh, I feel for your sweet boy. I STILL don't like going to the dentist. I had to decide shot or no shot a few months ago. I decided no shot out of fear and experienced quite a bit of discomfort. Next time, I hope I can be brave like Jed. :)

Blessings,

Wendy