Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Thoughts about Worth

Welcome to those of you joining me from the Encouragement Cafe today. It's an honor to be sharing a devotional there...you can read it by clicking HERE. I'll ask you the question that is the title of the devo - "Have you ever felt unworthy?"

My answer is a BIG ole YES! But I truly would love to hear your experience with this struggle that I've come to believe we all experience. Next month I'm going to be sharing about this very topic at a Valentine's Tea and I'd appreciate learning more about others' battle with these feelings. So please share in the comments or send me an email at jillberan@yahoo.com - thanks!!

A couple of weeks back our pastor preached on Philippians 3:17 where Paul says, "Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do." I grew up idolizing (I now know that's a bad thing) basketball players and coaches...I followed their example and wanted to be like them. When I became the varsity player and later a coach, I took the responsibility of being a role model seriously and strived to set an example others could follow.

My days in the gym are over, but this recent sermon has me thinking about the example I set because people are still watching - especially 5 youngsters in my house! Our pastor instructed us to think about who's example influences us and as he shared I was grateful for the people God brought to mind. Ones who encourage, speak Truth and point me to Christ. People who follow hard after God, read His Word and follow His lead.

Then he encouraged us to think about the example we are setting...what do people see when they look at me? Am I walking a walk I want them to walk? Do I want them to imitate me?

Friend, the things we do and say, the life we live and the One we serve are important. People are watching. We are setting an example. The question is - Is it a good and Godly one?

These questions brought to mind a time from years ago...back in 2009 I had a conversation with my daughter Joy who was days from turning 5. She had tried on a new dress and told me, "I'm not pretty." I remember being shocked that such a young child could already struggle with these thoughts. I also remember God speaking Truth to me as I shared it with her.

Five years have passed and I wish I could tell you we never had this conversation again, but I can't...actually as she continues to grow and approach the teen years it seems to happen more. She's actually added another line, "You're just saying that." Those are words I know all to well! Though they don't often come out of mouth, they have run through my mind.

Friend, you and I can share Truth with others and tell them who they are in Christ, but we also must believe it and live it out as well. It's important for me to tell my daughters who God says they are, but those words will have more power when they see me living them as well. Today will you join me in embracing your WORTH and setting an example for others to follow.

"You are altogether beautiful,my darling; there is no flaw in you." Song of Solomon 4:7

"Let the king be enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord." Psalms 45:11

3 comments:

Wendy Blight said...

I really enjoyed your Encouragement Cafe devotional and left you a comment there. But stopped by here to see what was on your heart. And the one thing I want to say is that JOY is BEAUTIFUL inside and out...and that is a rare find in young girls today. So please give her a big hug from me and tell her how beautiful she is!!

Love,

me

Jill Beran said...

Thanks Wendy! I showed this to Joy and she just grinned! Love from both of us!

Amber Paulsen said...

Hi Jill! I'm praying for your daughter to know how beautiful she is through God's eyes. He is a "Masterpiece" maker. Satan is a liar and whispers lies to all girls/women, and we need the Sword of the Spirit (God's Word) to cover (replace) those lies the world tells us. Praise God - He does heal from lies. The Max Lucado book "You are Special" is coming to mind (children's book but great for adults too). It's one of my favorites. :) LOVE those verses and your encouraging post. :) P.S. For some reason I can't get to the encouragement café website from my computer here at work, it is timing out and giving me an error message.