Monday, October 6, 2014

Watch Your Step

Walking through the cattle lot has never been something I've enjoyed. The other day as I tip-toed around the mud and other "messes" a few thoughts entered my mind. I went back in time and could hear my sisters teasing me about getting dirty. I could see my son laughing at me as he stomped right in the yuck I worked to avoid. The third thought was a new one and it's come back a few times.

I believe it was God who brought this thought to mind as He used the scene as a picture of my spiritual walk. It was as if He was questioning me, "Why are you so careful to avoid physical messes, but let up a bit when it comes to spiritual ones?" If you were to ask my husband, he'd tell you I will do all I can to avoid getting my boots dirty when I'm in the cattle lot. (In case you didn't know, cattle lots are rarely clean.)

I watch my step. I consider my path. I take my time. I take the long route if necessary. Though my family doesn't always appreciate it, I do. I'm grateful my boots stay clean and now I'm thankful for the lesson God is teaching me through this.

Friend, as you and I walk through life, it'd be beneficial to apply this strategy as well. Not because we don't want to get dirty, but because we want to be wise and ultimately because we want to follow Christ. It's easy to say that's what we want to do, but if we're going to do it we must be aware of our surroundings, we have to keep our eyes on Him and watch where He's going.

I'm a homeschool Mom and this last week in school God took these thoughts a step further. For history, we are reading a book called Tirzah and it's the story of the exodus told from a young Hebrew slave girl's perspective. The book has made me think about this familiar story in a whole new way...especially about the crossing of the sea. I'm not sure why, but I've always had this glamorous picture in my head of Moses leading the people through. That is not at all how it's described in the book; Tirzah talks about stumbling over debris and getting stuck in seaweed.

We really don't know what all took place, but can we agree that following Jesus tends to be much more challenging than it is glamorous? Friend, as we follow Him, we must watch our step. We must be careful. We must be aware of our surroundings.

As I thought about the Israelites getting tripped up and stuck in the Red Sea, my mind went to work. I too get tripped up and stuck...sometimes it's with physical things and others it's my thoughts. Stepping into a pile of wrong thoughts makes a much bigger mess than stepping into the stuff that's in our cattle lot. But I work much harder to avoid the latter and I've found myself asking, "Why?" Honestly, a couple of minutes at the hydrant and that mess is gone!

This week I've been challenged to take my thoughts captive and to watch my step in regards to my thinking. And I want to continue this in the days to come. Thankfully I don't have to tip-toe through the cattle lot every day, but that's not the case when it comes to the thoughts in my head...they are always there and I must live out 2 Corinthians 10:5b if I want to watch my step, "Take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 

And friend, we won't be able to do this without the help of the Holy Spirit or wisdom from the Lord, so today will you join me in making Psalms 119:105 your prayer? "Oh, Lord, make Your Word a lamp for my feet and a light on my path." He will show us the way we are to go, but we must watch our step and follow where He leads!

I've been watching my step in the cattle lot for years and my boots stay clean; I pray this is the beginning of watching my steps spiritually so my heart stays pure. Asking God to help you do the same!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, Jill! I love this! It made me smile. YES! I have for SURE stepped in some big old messes of wrong/icky/stinky/yucky thinking before. AND I have stepped in other kinds of messes before...and I had never thought of it before...but I am pretty sure stepping in the physical, tangible mess bothered me more than wading through the mess in my mind. Thanks for sharing this, Jill. Our thoughts matter so much.