Friday, December 13, 2013

Praying without Ceasing

A special welcome to those of you joining me from the Encouragement Cafe today! Thank you for stopping by! In my devotion (you can read it HERE), the focus was on 1 Thessalonians 5:17, which says - "Pray without ceasing.”

That is a short sentence and may seem like a simple command, but friend for me it can be a difficult assignment. I can clearly remember the day I described in the devotional, the day God gave me these directions. I'd read this verse before, thought about and even tried to live it out, but my efforts didn't last long.

So this time I did something different...instead of determining to do this in my head, I went to my knees and asked God to change my heart. I had cried out to Him and trusted this was His answer. I knew it was something I couldn't do on my own...reflecting on failed attempts in the past proved that.

As I prayed, I also listened and my heavenly Father, the One who created my heart and knows it best, whispered words I needed to hear. Ones that brought peace and have helped me press on. It was as if I heard Him say, "Don't strive for perfection, I just want perseverance." I thanked Him for that and closed my prayer asking for His help.

Friend, nearly two months have passed and the first thing I'll admit - I don't pray without ceasing. But I'm grateful to announce that I do pray more and am quicker to go to God. He heard my prayer and is answering it!

I asked for God's help and He is clearly providing it. He's pricking my heart in unique ways that lead me to pray first and more. And He's helping me receive the grace that He offers when I fail...which still happens all too often!

Like the other night when my little Jed slipped after taking a bath. He was crying and in pain so I scooped him up, sat him on the bed and started looking him over. As I did this I said to him, "I don't see any blood, nothing is broken...I think you're going to be OK."

Tears fell from his eyes as he continued to cry and then my little 4 year old took my hands and put them together. I whispered, "You want Mommy to pray?" He simply shook his head. So I prayed...asking God to comfort and heal my little man, thanking Him for my child's faith and the marvelous ways He works.

My lil Jed back when he was 2!
Friend, my prayer for you is that you too will take some time and really ask God to help you live out this verse. It is one that is easy to memorize, but hard to live. Praying you will be encouraged to press on in prayer!


No comments: