Thursday, December 20, 2012

Are you ready?

"Are you ready?" seems to be the question of the week...everywhere I go people are talking about the up-coming holiday. The one some have been preparing for for months. The Christmas ads start in October, the decorating begins in November and much takes place in December.

We decorate trees, buy gifts, wrap presents, mail cards, bake cookies and the list goes on. There is much to do to prepare for this celebration that commemorates the birth of Christ. It's good stuff. It's fun stuff.

But with Christmas 5 days away and a blizzard taking place outside my window, it's feeling more like stressful stuff. I still have gifts to buy and cards to mail, but since travel is not advised in Iowa...that won't happen today. And really that's OK; all month long I've been asking God to help me focus on the real meaning of Christmas and keep me from being overwhelmed with the busyness of the season. He's answering that prayer.

This morning He also opened my eyes - Christmas isn't the only thing I need to be ready for. The prep work I do for the celebration of Jesus birthday is important and serves a purpose, but there's a more important day to be ready for - Christ will come again.

I was challenged this morning to think about how much time and energy I devote to getting ready for that big day. Honestly, I don't work as hard or do as much to prepare for that as I do for Christmas. And the thing is if I don't get everything done by December 25th, chances are pretty high I'll get another try next year.

But friend, preparing for Christ's return is something we can only do once. There are no second chances.

So today as you bake cookies or address cards, can I encourage you to think about what you are doing to prepare for Christ's second coming. Perhaps you have sin to confess, a relationship to restore, a friend to forgive or maybe you need to accept Christ as Savior and declare Him your Lord.

Think about this: Be dressed, ready for service and keep your lamps burning, like men waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him. Luke 12:35-36

The question of the month really is a question for life! So ask yourself today, "Am I ready?" I pray your answer is YES!!

No comments: